Problem with a bathroom shaver unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. A very basic question from a novice.

I've just moved into a flat which has a bathroom shaver light/socket that doesn't work (light or shaver socket). I'm wondering if the problem is with the unit or the wiring. I've unscrewed it from the wall to take a look behind. Couldn't see any loose wires, but while I was screwing it back the light briefly flashed on, suggesting to me that something is loose.

Even as a novice I'm reluctant to call out an electrician if it's just a question of tightening up a loose connection or replacing the unit with a new one. But before I can proceed any further I need to establish which breaker circuit the unit is on, so I can cut the power. I don't want to switch off both "lights" and "socket" at the same time, as the bathroom has no daylight and I want to be able to see what I'm doing. Any suggestions (besides buying a good torch)?

BTW the unit is a pretty cheap one, one of these: http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co...Bathroom-Lighting/product.asp?productid=40558

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999% (approx) likely that the thing is on the same circuit as the lights.

And since it is flaky, you can't use it "not lighting up" as an indication that you have got the right breaker. Not that you should anyway - you should always use a 2-pole voltage indicator to check for dead.

But even then, the complication is that as something flaky this way comes, you couldn't be absolutely sure that the tester saying the light is dead means that you have the right circuit.

Unless you can trace the wires you should turn off the entire flat before fiddling.

Is there a fused connection unit, near this light/shaver socket.
If not there is a chance that the bathroom light and shaver socket are part of the same circuit.
To test for voltage do use an approved voltage tester or multi-meter not a neon screwdriver!

Does the fitting have a cover? Is it fitting properly?. A lot of shaver lights have micro switches fitted that prevent them working if the cover is not fully home. You may have caught one when screwing the fitting on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. In future I'll switch off everything if I'm in any doubt.

Does the fitting have a cover? Is it fitting properly?. A lot of shaver lights have micro switches fitted that prevent them working if the cover is not fully home.
That's it! The transparent cover has 4 retaining pins, 2 of which close switches. One of the pins was slightly damaged and needed extra attention to make it engage fully. With that done, the unit is now fully working. Thanks! (It did turn out to be on the lights circuit.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back