problem with blown fuse - any help appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post here, I am hoping to find some help. I turned my living room light on this morning, the bulb blew and subsequently blew the fuse. I removed the fuse cartridge that realtes to the downstairs lights, it said on the side it was a 5 amp cartridge, when I looked inside there wasna 13amp fuse with melted wire wrapped round it. I have since put 5 amp fusenin and the lights are now working, have I done the right thing? Is there a logical reason as to why a 13amp was in there, my upstairs lights are the same, should I replace them with a 5amp? We have lived in house 8 yrs no probs before?

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Yes you have done the right thing.

As long as it was 5A fuse wire wrapped around a blown fuse it would not be too much of a problem.

Replace the other with a proper 5A fuse.

Is it a BS1361 fuse or a BS1362 you have fitted?

Should really be a 5 amp BS1361.

Yes replacing the fuse for a 5amp fuse is the safe and logical thing to, there are many reasons why you have found a 13A wrapped in foil, so it would be guess to give you an absolute answer.
But it is likely the 13A fuse had been installed previously, to replace a 5A as there were no spares at hand, that fuse then blew again, the fault was then repaired, no fuses left to use, so wrapped foil around the fuse as this will make the circuit. But very dangerous as you would not expect to know the current rating of aluminium foil.

Sponsored Links
(somewhat belated) Happy New Year to everyone!
... there are many reasons why you have found a 13A wrapped in foil, so it would be guess to give you an absolute answer. ... But it is likely the 13A fuse had been installed previously, to replace a 5A as there were no spares at hand, that fuse then blew again, the fault was then repaired, no fuses left to use, so wrapped foil around the fuse as this will make the circuit. But very dangerous as you would not expect to know the current rating of aluminium foil.
Unless I've missed something, no-one (other than you) seems to have mentioned foil, aluminium or otherwise. The OP referred to 'melted wire' wrapped around the fuse - and, as EFLI said, although far from ideal. if that had been 5A fuse wire, then that should not have been too much of a problem. Whatever, replacing these makeshift fuses with proper 5A BS1361 ones is clearly the correct course.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks everyone, it is 1362 we have fitted is this wrong? We got them from our local wickes?

They are fuses for plugs.

The 5 amp BS1361 fuse is a slightly different size (physically) to BS1362 ones.

You will find higher rated fuses in your fuse box will be bigger (physically).

When you can, get some 1361 ones. A large B&Queue or an electrical wholesaler should sell them.

Would also recommend turning off the fuse box before removing fuses, for safety.

Thanks everyone, it is 1362 we have fitted is this wrong? We got them from our local wickes?
BS1361 and BS1362 fuses are slightly different in size, so that latter (intended for use in plugs) may not make good contact with the carrier in your fuse box. You therefore ought to get BS1361 ones from an electrical supplier (plenty on-line) - the likes of Wickes probably don't stock them.

Whilst you're at it, it would make sense to check all the fuses, and to replace any others which have wire wrapped around them and/or are not proper BS1361s.

Kind Regards, John

Welcome back John. Have you been on holiday?
Thanks. No holiday (apart from the Christmas festivities) - I've merely been distracted by more pressing calls on my time in the last few weeks! I may remain fairly thin on the ground (here) for a while yet!

Kind Regards, John

HNY. What could possibly be more pressing?
Thanks - and the same to you. Unfortunately, life seems to be full of any number of pressing things, particularly when considerations of keeping a roof over one's head enter the equation!

Kind Regards, John

Unless I've missed something, no-one (other than you) seems to have mentioned foil, aluminium or otherwise.
Apologize for that, just something I come across and had the vision in my head at the time of posting, but a similar situation.

(somewhat belated) Happy New Year to everyone!

Happy New year to you also John hope all is well, I thought you and BAS had nipped off for a romantic interlude, as he as also been very quiet of recent
;)

Unless I've missed something, no-one (other than you) seems to have mentioned foil, aluminium or otherwise.
Apologize for that, just something I come across and had the vision in my head at the time of posting, but a similar situation.
Yes, similar. In fact, in relation to what I (and EFLI) said before, even IF (and it's a big IF) it were 5A fuse wire wrapped around the fuse, that would only be 'not much of a problem' if it were a blown 13A fuse it were wrapped around. If it were an intact 13A fuse, then the current required to blow the fuse wire would presumably be appreciably greater than expected.
Happy New year to you also John hope all is well, I thought you and BAS had nipped off for a romantic interlude, as he as also been very quiet of recent ;)
Thanks - and the same to you. I didn't know that BAS had also been thin on the ground. As for me, as I wrote to EFLI, I've simply been very busy, one way or another, since around the start of December - which, coupled with the holiday frolics, has been the explanation for my 'absence'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back