problem with cd35c Alpha Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a CD35C Alpha combi boiler, it is nearly 2 years old and under a 3 year waranty Last year I called alpha out as hot water wasn't getting hot! they came and said there was Crap getting into the heat exchange cleaned it and said it would happen again, told me to get my plumber who fitted it to give it a clean which he did using a cheap trade save cleaner, the same thing happened on new years eve, again called them out, same problem exchanged the heat exchange and advised I got my plumber to clean again and install a magnaclean with a filter to prevent happening again, which I had done! (they also said this wouldn't come under the warantee a third time as it shouldn't have first and second but were doing me a favour) If you have seen my other posts I have had a problem with balancing which has finally been sorted but again I have no hot water which is suffering the same symptoms as before (magnaclean obviously not doing its Job) , I have been advised that when my plumber installed the new boiler onto the old pipework it has been clear that he did not flush the system or there wouldn't be crap in the pipes nor would it be reaching the boiler... So do I now get a new plumber to flush the system and send old plumber the bill or do I have to get old plumber to put it right having no confidence that he will, (had to balance the radiators myself as he couldn't do it) he did come back and forth tweaking it here and there and telling me to try that for a couple of days, I text him 2 weeks ago to say it still hadn't worked to which he didn't reply (getting to embarraced to keep calling), hence I did it myself with the good help and advice from the people on here, please any info would be great.

Sponsored Links
We hear this all the time. I am surprised that it does not sink in that the system has to be cleaned properly when a new boiler is fitted.

Your installer should have cleaned it and should put it right by power flushing. But I suppose he does not have the equipment or knowledge.

But you should give him the opportunity to put it right first and if he does not then advise him in writing before you engage anyone else if you are planning to send him a bill. Power flushing is about £350-£450 but does not remove everything is a system with flaky rust in the rads. In that case a magnetic filter or even just a gauze filter should do th ejob.

Tony

Many thanks, I guess i am going to have an arguement on my hands as he has put a cleaner in a half dozen times now maybe more. I cannot prove he did or did not powerflush the system before he connected up to a new system, this is only based on the Alpha engineers advice. He is very unapproachable and I only had him because he came under a contract with my builder so not my choice :(

Thats what happens if you let a builder get involved in boilers!

In that case make the builder responsible.

merely putting cleaners in will not solve your problem although it might help a little.

NEVER let a builder get involved in heating or boilers.

Most professionals will not work for builders.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks, thought he was reputable he is corgi registered!! hey ho can't do anything about it now.

Another question if you don't mind I have some push fits and have been advised that I couldn't powerflush now is this true?

Merely being gas registered only means he has passed an assesment relating to working safely on gas. It does not mean that he knows anything about heating systems or boilers or that he will work diligently.

Most of us will not work for builders because they dont want the job done properly and will not pay for it to be done properly. most dont want to pay for the job anyway and will find all sorts of excuses for not paying.

Tony

Does this boiler have the brass version of a Magna Cleanse fitted inside the bottom of the appliance?, which Alpha push, to collect the dirt fron the system?

No this is a Magna clean that comes in a purple box that I had to get recently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back