Problem with celing light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help me here.

I have got a new light and a dimmer switch for my son’s bedroom.
I fitted the dimmer switch fine and it was working.

I then moved onto fitting his new ceiling light, only problem is it keeps tripping out the 5v fuse.

If I have the light upstairs turned on while I turn the mains power on the light will light up fine. But if I use the switch to turn this off it trips the fuse. It will also trip the fuse if I turn on mains power when the light switch is on the off position.

Any idea why this is happening?

I tried changing the back from the dimmer switch to the old normal switch but no luck.
I was thinking possibly I need a new low voltage light switch but thought id would seek advice before going out to buy another one.

Thanks,

S~

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have done this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:blackswlive
You've probably killed the dimmer switch if you have :cry:

Spark,

That sounds about right. Should have checked up before I went ahead. Thankfully nothing other than a blown fuse happened.

I have all 3 black wires in the one socket.

I will go out tomorrow and buy multimeter and a new dimmer switch.

Just to clarify, I know I need to find the black wire that connects to the switch.
After that there are 2 options.
My new light fitting has 3 terminals to connect wires too. I think I have to do one of the following:

1. Connect the 4 live wires in the L terminal, 2 neutrals in the N terminal and the 3 earth wires to the E terminal.

Or

2. Connect 3 live wires in the L terminal, 1 neutral in the N terminal and the 3 earth wires to the E terminal. Then connect the other 2 black wires together?

Can you confirm, if any of these options I should do.

Thanks,

S~

You need to look at the diagram on the page I linked to. The 3 permanent live connections connect together and to nothing else. The 2 neutrals connect to the N terminal. The black with red sleeve (switched live) connects to the L terminal. The 3 earths all connect to the earth terminal. If you do not have enough terminals you will need to buy a piece of terminal block and house it in the fitting.

Sponsored Links
Spark,

I really appreciate your advice, it has so far been invaluable and I have learned allot. I have just recently moved in to my house and have lots of lights to fit.

Just one more question though. Will I have to buy a terminal block for each of my lights that I fit? Will connecting 3 of the live terminal wires and taping them with electrical tape do the trick or are terminal blocks the only way to go.
Please bear in mind that I am fitting this into my son’s bedroom. So if electrical tape poses the slightest bit of danger then the terminal blocks are the way I will go.

Regards,

S~

do not use tape to join cable together, it will work loose, the cables will arc and a small fire will burn your house down. Use terminal block rate for the lighting circuit mcb. Usually 6 amps for a lighting circuit but never assume, check.

Agree with that - do the job properly. A strip of terminal block is about the same price of a roll of insulation tape anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back