Problem with different power supplies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know if this is suitable for this forum but i'll give it a go anyway. At work today i had a problem, it was with an oxymitter. When it is connected up thro the main dist board that its been connected to all along it doesnt function right, but when i connect it thro a temporary supply from a 16a socket on the wall it works fine. There is voltage present when it is connected both ways, one is 239v and the other 243v. But this shouldnt affect it. All the cabling is fine as i put the temporary lead on at the source so it went thro all the cabling and panels that is required. Just wondered if anyone could shine any light on this situation? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you using the same PSU for both instances?
Is the socket on same phase as the way you are connecting it to in the CU?
What is an oxymitter? :LOL:

The oxymitter is an oxygen sensor in an incinerator in the carbon fibre factory i work in. The 16a socket i used for the temporary supply is off a completly diff supply. It is fed from a different dist board than the one that the unit was connected to in the first place.

I assume the oxymitter has been working and then stopped.

Are the sensor electronics in the probe casing or remote ?

My first thought would be to look for new differences in voltage between the earth of the supply and the casing of the unit into which the oximitter is fitted. Voltage diferences there could induce spurious voltage / currents in the signal lines.

Has any high frequency equipment, chopping power supplies or invertors or similar been added to or changed or failed in the system. ?

Sponsored Links
Well it was all connected up thro a UPS. The UPS failed and when it was bypassed to get the thing running again the oxymitter started to play up. A new oxymitter was ordered and when it was fitted there was still the same fault. So we got it running again by putting in the temporary supply. And then when the line was shut down for service i tested everything and find myself here with this problem. I might find that when the new UPS is fitted it might work fine again but i still dont understand why it wont work when it does thro a temporary lead.

Was the UPS being used to remove earth loops between the electrical supply and the earth of the sensor casing ?

Input to the UPS earthed to the distribution board and a separate earth for the UPS output taken from the earth local to the sensor.

I have on several occasions had to use a 230 to 230 isolation transformer to remove earth loops from monitoring equipment cabling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back