Problem With Efflorescence On External Brickwork

J

johnsmith635

We have quite a lot of what I assumed was salt residue on external brickwork as can be seen in the picture below. However when I search for this on the internet, it seems to suggest that it is powdery which this isn't. It is solid. Could someone tell me from the picture what it is and how I can get rid of it? Also, is it harmless if left alone?

I've tried one product already but it made no difference at all. A brick and mortar cleaner that says it removes lime, salt stains and efflorescence.

2r7xa2h.jpg

Sponsored Links
Has the wall recently been re-pointed in hard mortar?

Rather than worry about how to remove the deposits, a more pressing issue might be that there is excessive damp coming from somewhere.

No it hasn't been repointed. The wall looks damp in that picture because I took just after having tried to remove it with the product I bought. This required it to be rinsed off afterwards. So it probably wasn't the best time to take the picture.

Sorry, didn't explain; salt deposits are often an indication of the presence of dampness from some source, eg penetrating rain, blocked gutters, leaking drain, failed dpc etc.

Sponsored Links
Can we assume that you've already tried the obvious bristle/wire brush and elbow grease?

How old is the brickwork and has it been coated in anything?

Whereabouts on the walls of the house is the pic taken - can you take pics showing the context?
Whats on the other side of the wall in the pic?

The bricks in the pic appear to have blown faces and someone has had them rendered over with sand and cement. Perhaps the damaged bricks were too far gone when the render was applied, and the render in turn has been blown off.

Having said that, 1. the "bricks" look like stone of some kind, and 2. the "render",
if thats what it is, is a thin layer, merely smeared on.

Looks like calcite deposit to me. Try a spray of household limescale remover on a very small patch to see if it touches it.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for my slow reply but I've been away. The wall is at the back of the house. The other side of the wall is the kitchen. I haven't tried a "wire brush and elbow grease" as I was concerned that I might damage the brickwork further. I'll try a limescale remover on a small patch. The deposits are quite thick and hard so I'd be surprised if it had much impact though.

If it is calcite then lime remover should dissolve it. A stronger solution might work if a normal spray doesn't. Like the stuff you clean out kettles with.

OP,

above i asked you a couple of questions and made some suggestions. Would you care to respond?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back