Problem with Gledhill Torrent Direct (thermal store)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a newbie to the world of DIY so forgive me if I'm asking something which has been covered before or is really obvious, but I didn't know where else to turn!

I live in a shared ownership apartment, which when I moved in already had hot water supplied from a -

Gledhill Torrent Direct - an electrically heated, mains pressure hot water thermal store.

From the literature on the website, "It is a combination unit which incorporates a feed and expansion tank and eliminates the problems associated with a cold water cistern in the roof space.

It is supplied complete with two low watts density immersion heaters for extra quiet operation as recommended by the Electricity Council.

'Draw-off' for baths and 'flow' for power showering operate from this one compact unit which means there are more siting options, maximising building design flexibility."

It's powered from what looks to be two seperate switches in my storage cupboard in the hallway, which I have left on since day one of moving in.

Well, towards the end of last year, I suddenly lost my constant supply of hot water, and couldn't get it to work again. To obtain any kind of hot water, I had to use the 'power boost' button located in the kitchen (gives the option of heating the water for 30mins, 1hr or 2 hr) which obviously isn't ideal in terms of cost on the electric.

Anyhow, eventually the housing association sent out a builder as a part of the 12 months defects inspection, and he took a look at the Torrent. He told me there was a 'trip switch' towards the bottom of the main tank body which had popped out due to overheating and that if it ever happened again, I'd need a matchstick or similar just to push it back in to reset the tank.

Well, of course, it's happened again (I guess I need to turn down the adjustable thermostatic mixing valve to avoid further problems), and I've searched high and low for this button but cannot find it.

I rang the association who do not want to know since it's 'out of the 12 month period'. They did give me the number of the builders and the woman there was pretty helpful, giving me advice when she technically shouldn't have.

She advised me it was towards the bottom of the unit, but underneath the blue thermal jacket, shaped as either a button or a 'hair clip' shaped switch. I've had another look tonight with a torch but still cannot find it and I don't want to start ripping off the jacket if I'm looking in the wrong place.

I can't really afford a call-out charge and would like to find it for myself for future reference anyway. Is anyone familiar with this unit and can they help me?

Apologies for the length of the post, but I thought as much detail as possible would be good. I can point people to schematics of the unit if necessary (although to my eye, they don't show anything)...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading, Andy

Sponsored Links
Call Gledhill in the morning and ask for technical dept. They ought to help you, after all its not gas.

Richsoft said:
Call Gledhill in the morning and ask for technical dept. They ought to help you, after all its not gas.

Gledhill usually refuse to talk to anyone who is not a 'tradesman'. They are very awkward on this

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, unfortunately gas4you is right, and I could pretend to be a tradesman, but I think it would be pretty obvious after a couple of seconds speaking that I'm blagging it (my knowledge lies in telecoms :D ). It says on the website to direct any support queries to the installer, so I'm pretty sure the installer would already know the answer to this simple problem and wouldn't be ringing Gledhill.

Unfortunately, talking to the installer would mean that I'd get talked in to a call out which I'd like to avoid (as mentioned, the helpful lady I spoke to before was literally speaking 'in hushed tones' and told me I 'hadn't heard it from her'). It's literally a 10 second fix but without knowing where to start, I'm stuck! :cry:

Andy_Smart said:
Thanks all, unfortunately gas4you is right, and I could pretend to be a tradesman, but I think it would be pretty obvious after a couple of seconds speaking that I'm blagging it (my knowledge lies in telecoms :D ). It says on the website to direct any support queries to the installer, so I'm pretty sure the installer would already know the answer to this simple problem and wouldn't be ringing Gledhill.

Unfortunately, talking to the installer would mean that I'd get talked in to a call out which I'd like to avoid (as mentioned, the helpful lady I spoke to before was literally speaking 'in hushed tones' and told me I 'hadn't heard it from her'). It's literally a 10 second fix but without knowing where to start, I'm stuck! :cry:

just try them first

they are normally pretty good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back