Problem with HF Fluorescents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over a year ago I installed a number of High Frequency 58w Twin weatherproof fluorescents in one of my outbuildings. The lights have never been on this past few months due to the long evenings but this past few weeks, I have been switching them on.

Every couple of days, there seems to be one tube not lighting up or non light up. The first time I switched the lights on a few weeks ago, they all lit up but within seconds, one of the twin lights went out and never came back on.

In my other large outbuildings, I have the older non-hf fluorescents and not one tube has been replaced and they were installed a number of years ago.

Are all these HF fluorescents just a pain in the ass and something I will just have to put up with? Could it be to do with the fact that they need to be going on a regular basis to keep the electronics end ticking over?

My older fluorescents are Thorn but my wholesaler did away with thorn and now stocks Ansell. Could the brand quality be something to do with it?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
In my experience HF fittings are a pain especially T5 versions. The tubes last nowhere near their supposed life and ballasts fail. Better quality ones are a bit better. I've had one ballast failure in 80 recently installed Thorn fittings.

Never had a problem with Thorn HF, but then again, I've not bought hundreds...

Thanks for the replies.

I am going to take a tube that's working and test it in those that don't work. Hopefully it's just the tubes and if it is, I wonder how long they will last.

I'll know for next time to stick with Thorn.

Sponsored Links
I did find that if the tubes were not replaced quickly seemed to take the inverter out. Started using lighting track and plug in ceiling roses so I could isolate faulty lamps both so all lights did not have to go off to change a tube and to isolate if tube went and we were out of stock of that type.

Can't remember make. Risk assessment would not allow changing of tubes live. But also told that could take out the inverters.

Fitted hundreds of HF NVC batten type fittings on lighting trunking in a warehouse a couple years ago. Still going strong, on the same lamps! admittedly, they are on an adjustable photocell as the roof has large natural light panels.

Same site, installed at the same time, hundreds of 600x600 lay in fittings, also NVC HF. Had to replace several, more so the EM versions.

Its not so much the fitting make, more the ballast manufacturer.
Proteus although usually gets a slating, tended to use better quality ballasts than more expensive made fittings

Also your running T8 tubes so try to use triphosphor tubes Prefix "8" rather than cheaper standard tubes

Took two working tubes out of a light thats working and put them in the one's that aren't, and they don't even work.

What a waste of money those lights were.

I work in a building with Thorn fittings which were installed in 1985 and we replaced our first ballast last month! Great kit.

NA :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back