Attachments

• 20231212_181153.jpg
    20231212_181153.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20231212_181102.jpg
    20231212_181102.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Where do blue and brown in 3 and 4 go to?

Blue is hot water on 100% so i have assumed brown must be Heating on as it was connected to BDR91 and that receiver was switching the heating on. I have not tracked the wires as logically there is no other explanation as above.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Blue is hot water on 100% so i have assumed brown must be Heating on as it was connected to BDR91 and that receiver was switching the heating on. I have not tracked the wires as logically there is no other explanation as above.
So was it just brown in the bdr91 or was the blue in it too?

Sponsored Links
From what I can see, I believe your wiring is 'Operative'*.

Here are the cables as I see them...

image_2023-12-12_232333008.png

I wonder if you can confirm a couple of points:

Does the Brown "C/H On" wire from Terminal 4 of the Thermostat, connect with the White wire from the 3 Port Valve?
In Terminal 7 of the wiring centre, does the Orange wire connect with a Brown, going to the Tank Thermostat and a Blue to the Boiler?
In Terminal 6, does the Green/Yellow "H/W Off" wire from Terminal 1 of the Thermostat, connect with a Grey and either a Blue, or a Green/Yellow to the tank Thermostat?
And finally, does the Blue "H/W On" wire from Terminal 3 of the Thermostat, connect to either a Blue, or a Green/Yellow to the Tank Thermostat?

If my guesses are correct, this again, suggests to me that your issues were pre-existing and could possibly be related to the three port valve.

(What I've guessed as the boiler power cable, may be incorrect, as there is an FCU next to your boiler - although that possibly feeds the twin and earth to the wiring centre?)

*I say 'operative', because the wiring isn't in a very good state, it wouldn't meet current regulations and is all a bit amateurish!
There are many blue and green/yellow wires that are switched lives and aren't oversleeved.
Under current regs, green/yellow wires can only be used for earth connections.
The incoming twin and earth cable has no sleeving at all on the earth wire.
Provision has been made for cable grips, but they are missing, or broken.
Be careful screwing the top back on the wiring centre, as the Blue wire has been pinched - although it doesn't look to have broken through the insulation yet.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Will confirm on saturday when i will be in the house. Yes, i agree it look amateurish. Nothing was done in this house since 2005. I am just moving in there and trying to sort the things out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back