problem with ideal icos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. . . . . iv recently bought a house and have had a engineer round to look at a problem with explosive ignition??? he has quoted me a rough price of £400+ V.A.T to change a pcb and fan??

My first question is does this price sound right to change these parts?
and secondly does what he has diagnosed sound right?

has anyone ever come across this problem before?

would be gratefull for any input

the boiler is a IDEAL ICOS its a new HE boiler, about two years old.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Which part is faulty pcb or fan?, if you really need both then the price is about right but I personally might be a liitle more inclined for a fixed price manufacturer visit.

i don't know which is faulty, the engineer seemed to think both were? but he didn't seem to be very confident. have you ever come across this problem with any other new boilers? also how often should i get it serviced? other people on the estate seem to think every 2 or 3 years, does that sound right?

Service it every year.

You can get circumstances where the problem is not clearly one component or another (see Vokera Linea thread running at the moment).

A call to Ideal while testing MIGHT help, but often they just suggest testing by substitution - which doesn't help your fella as he can't take the spare part back.

Sponsored Links
sjrigby said:
has anyone ever come across this problem before?

A competent boiler repair engineer will have encountered virtually all possible combinations of faults before!

Explosive ignition is usually caused by ignition or gas mixture problems.

I dont have much faith in what your man is saying to you.

Tony

also can get that with a blocked condensate pipe

I agree with agile sounds like he is a part thrower poor lamb

its it over two years? if under you may still get a warrantee call from Ideal?

if not call them any way then you will be sure they will get it right

corgiman said:
also can get that with a blocked condensate pipe

I agree with agile sounds like he is a part thrower poor lamb

its it over two years? if under you may still get a warrantee call from Ideal?

if not call them any way then you will be sure they will get it right

i work for ideal as an engineer and you dont need the pcb, all you need is a spark generator and lead, possibly the electrode, noisy igintion is caused on the icos of the either the sump being dry, ie boiler stat on max, or electrode lead touching the return pipe off the heat ex, but more often than not its a worn electrode or spark gen. i change enough so i should know. oh and its a cheap repair. definately not the pcb mate.

hope this helps

OP needs servicing every 12 months by someone who knows Ideals. I doubt if you would get a chargeable service call from Ideal as each time I have requested one they are too busy with warranty calls :rolleyes:

If you 'phone their tech desk they will tell you to look for spiders :eek:

2nd worst aftersales service in the industry, not the engineers, the company behind them.

God help you if you phone Ideal and get that woman (Dawn?), because she won't.

How many of them are there?

I spoke to one particular cow who refused to budge from her script - and refused to let me talk to anyone else.

Ashwood Heating said:
the.ideal.man said:
i change enough so i should know

Enough said

thats right mate its quite common after the boiler has been in about 2 years as often lack of servicing can cause the electrode to loose is spark gap, regular servicing would pick this up, and electrode changed annually if needed. also the design of the spark gen has been altered recently so the lead doesnt touch the return pipe. i posted a reply to the guy in an aim so save him being ripped off and still not fixing the problem, you installers aint perfect you know so of the shocking things ive seen would make you blush. some of you dont know difference between flow and return, or minimum load differencials!!! mmmm let me say AUTO BYPASS needed, oh heres another good one i often see, room stat directly above a trv! make sure your perfect before dissing the boiler manufacturers!! :evil:

and a roomstat above a trv affects the general gashness of ideal boilers does it?

i can appreciate your loyalty to your employer, misguided or not, i can also appreciate your product knowledge, but ideal havent made a good boiler since the non electronic mexico.

nickso said:
and a roomstat above a trv affects the general gashness of ideal boilers does it?

i can appreciate your loyalty to your employer, misguided or not, i can also appreciate your product knowledge, but ideal havent made a good boiler since the non electronic mexico.

so why does the isar out sell most other boiler!! up here mate, its either worcester or ideal!!! mexico was a cracking boiler tho :)

i have a greenstar at home and its ****e, always breaking down, had the flue seals replaced twice! oh and i didnt fit it before the **** take starts :oops:

the.ideal.man said:
nickso said:

so why does the isar out sell most other boiler!!

only the idiots who buy it or install it can answer that. where did you get that information from?

up here mate, its either worcester or ideal!!!

given that choice i wouldnt even look at the ideal.

mexico was a cracking boiler tho

it was indeed.

i just realised i forgot about the classic. that is actually the last good ideal boiler.

i have a greenstar at home and its s***te

ive not had many problems with them yet. my mothers one is doing very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back