Problem with light switches not working properly

Both switches will currently be wired in parallel, so it would just be a case of checking that the stairs switch has 2 twin & earths and joining them together so the connection from the room switch is continuous all the way to the light. i.e. brown to brown, blue to blue and earth to earth, assuming it's not the old colours, in which case I'm sure you get the idea.

Sponsored Links
Both switches will currently be wired in parallel, so it would just be a case of checking that the stairs switch has 2 twin & earths and joining them together so the connection from the room switch is continuous all the way to the light. i.e. brown to brown, blue to blue and earth to earth, assuming it's not the old colours, in which case I'm sure you get the idea.
I reckon they're wired is series and my suggestion would be to connect the 2 wires together in a connector. However I'll put that advice to one side until we have pics.

I can take photos but both switches just have two wires, one for the common and one for the L terminal. The light fitting also only has two cables. Should there me more?
You say both switches have two wires. So each switch only has a red and black (or brown and blue)? Is there no earth wire?

You say the light fitting has two cables. Two cables or two wires? Again, are there no earth wires?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back