Country
United Kingdom
Have been trying to rig up 2 halogen wall lights
Tech info
operational voltage 230-240v ~50hz
bulb 50w GU10
maximum nominal output 1x50w
protection catagory 1

Was simply trying to rig 2 of these to a switch and then to a plug into a socket, was told by a chap to use 3 core 1.5mm white cable, as the lights need earthing.
Anyway wired with a 3amp fuse in the plug it came on but when I tried the switch, it switched it off but not on again and the fuse had gone in the plug. Can someone shed light (no pun indended) on this problem, cheers me dears.
Have been told that I could be wiring the switch across the supply, tho having little knowledge of electrics I'm not sure what that means, was also told I need a 6amp double pole inline switch, and was wondering if all the above is correct if someone could knock up a drawing or give me a web link to one. This is for a awkward neighbour who is too tight to pay an electrician to do it, and as she is so demanding am desperate to sort this so I can get out of there before she finds another 101 jobs for me to do for nothing, please help one seriously frazzled bod, I thankyou

Sponsored Links
can you explain what sort of switch you've bought, and how you've wired it up.

the switch being "across the supply" would mean that you connected one end of the switch to live, and one end to neutral. If you'd done that, then when you turn the switch on, you'd have a dead short and blow the fuse.

1.5mm^2 flex is a bit ott. nothing wrong with it, but you could have used 0.75mm or even 0.5mm, which would have been smaller and easier to manage.

Are you sure the lights need earthing? does the instructions say that? if the lights are described as double insulated, or carry the double insulated symbol (a square within a square) then you should not earth them, even though there may be metal.

let us know what kit you've bought and we can tell you how to hook it up.

You`ve probably wired the switch across the supply - when switching `off' this has caused a dead short blowing the fuse and turning the lights off. Have a look and make sure that you have not connected the switch across the supply - it should be in series with the bulbs not parallel.

Your switch wiring should be something like this...

263ere2.jpg

Sponsored Links
no worries guys went to the local wholesaler and they drew me a lil' something up, the lights are now fine, but thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back