Problem with my kitchen electrics - need a bit of advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have this problem and would really appreciate some advice from someone in the know about these things... Today I put the kettle on, went out out of the kitchen and after a minute or so heard a bang - I checked the consumer unit and the fuse labeled sockets had tripped. I switched it back on and since then 2 double sockets (the kettle was plugged into one of them), the cooker extractor hood, and the hob ignitor are not working. The oven and the other sockets in the kitchen and the rest of the house work fine.
The consumer unit only has 4 fuses - sockets, lights, garage and spare.
Thanks for any replies/suggestions
Dan

Sponsored Links
They are not fuses, they are miniature circuit breakers. (MCB).

Probably the kettle developed a fault causing the MCB to trip. It is possible it, the MCB, is damaged. But first try switching it off, push it right down, then on again.
It is also possible that the sockets etc that no longer work are fed through a fused connection unit which now has a blown fuse.

Edit. Just noticed that you have only one sockets MCB which is working for the rest of the house. So look around for a fused connection unit.

maybe a loose connection behind the sockets that's don't work, or next to them.

Have you dared the try the kettle else where ?

Sponsored Links
It might be the MCB itself has failed, despite it appearing to reset. Are there any other sockets you could test, on the same MCB/circuit?

If it's a cheap socket from one of the sheds, then it could be the socket is NBG and needs replacing, but as said previously, look for a fused connection unit supplying the "faulty" socket.

It might be the MCB itself has failed, despite it appearing to reset. Are there any other sockets you could test, on the same MCB/circuit?
With other sockets in the house working ,and apparently only one of a total of 4 circuit breakers labelled sockets , I don't follow your logic Harry ???

With other sockets in the house working ,and apparently only one of a total of 4 circuit breakers labelled sockets , I don't follow your logic Harry ???

The other working sockets will likely be on a different circuit. The OP mentioned several items not working in one area, which suggests that entire circuit might not have any power.

Oops - just spotted only one MCB for sockets...

It is also possible that the sockets etc that no longer work are fed through a fused connection unit which now has a blown fuse.
I would think @winston1 is correct, likely one of these
upload_2021-9-11_8-0-8.png
and the fuse has ruptured in it, as with only one socket circuit and other sockets working that does seem likely.

Only other DIY thing is turn off power, do make sure power turned off first, and remove the two screws in the dead sockets and have a look, it could be a wire has come loose and has touched some thing, so looking for loose wires and black marks, but after that it needs an electrician to go further. The problem is if there is a loose wire what then? If you know where it should go great, but otherwise your left with a socket outlet which you can't really power up again with loose wire, so worse off than if not touched.

I would think @winston1 is correct, likely one of these View attachment 243814 and the fuse has ruptured in it, as with only one socket circuit and other sockets working that does seem likely.

Only other DIY thing is turn off power, do make sure power turned off first, and remove the two screws in the dead sockets and have a look, it could be a wire has come loose and has touched some thing, so looking for loose wires and black marks, but after that it needs an electrician to go further. The problem is if there is a loose wire what then? If you know where it should go great, but otherwise your left with a socket outlet which you can't really power up again with loose wire, so worse off than if not touched.

Thanks for this - most helpful
Edit: I have located the fuse you mentioned, changed it and everything is working properly.
Many thanks!

Last edited:
They are not fuses, they are miniature circuit breakers. (MCB).

Probably the kettle developed a fault causing the MCB to trip. It is possible it, the MCB, is damaged. But first try switching it off, push it right down, then on again.

Edit. Just noticed that you have only one sockets MCB which is working for the rest of the house. So look around for a fused connection unit.
A good suggestion winston.

EDIT: I see correct too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back