wiring for built in oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks i recently moved into a new house,i'm in the process of replacing the kitchen there is a gas cooker in it already but i am putting in integrated appliances ie oven,hob,hood i have taken the old gas cooker out and have wired for the hob ignitor and the hood not a problem but the oven is a problem in that there was only a 2.5mm cable feeding the cooker switch which was taken from an existing socket and no cooker outlet point,is it ok to run a 6mm cable from my consumer unit to the cooker switch then from the cooker switch to a cooker outlet point to feed the oven?if so what size of fuse do i run it from and does the fuse have to have ONLY the cooker switch coming from it? any help greatly appreciated ASAP lol

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you have a gas hob and an electric oven?

A typical UK single oven takes about 10 to 12 amps so will happily run off a 13amp plug.

hi john yeah it's a gas hob with an electric oven the oven is an oven and a half have just checked and its a double oven john

How many amps does the oven take when both bits are running?

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the user manual, it will have a specification in there saying the power of the oven(s) and grill(s).

might be described in kW or in Amps.

If you can't see the max amperage load specified, see what are the largest loads you can have on at the same time (e.g. in most ovens you can't have the grill and the oven on at the same time, but you can have the upper grill and the lower oven).

Somewhere in the installation instructions it ought to say what kind of supply you need. Was it delivered with a flex and plug?

hi have managed to dig out user manual and the wattage is 5.0-5.5kwwill i have to connect to the 30amp fuse in my cu

JohnD

A typical UK single oven takes about 10 to 12 amps so will happily run off a 13amp plug.
Is that a typical DOUBLE or SINGLE oven.

I dont think the word typical can be used on an appliance such as an oven.

Edit
You had assumed he has a single oven

Diyisfun said:
JohnD

Is that a typical DOUBLE or SINGLE oven.

I dont think the word typical can be used on an appliance such as an oven.

Edit
You had assumed he has a single oven

I specified that it was a typical single I was talking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back