problem with pc coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Need some help, when i turn on my pc it wont start up i have to keep hitting the restart button for ages before it finaly kicks in and starts up any idea what the problem is and how i can fix it

Thanks

Marty

Sponsored Links
bad button connection?

try taking it off and putting it back

Does anything else happen when you switch it on? Power lights, hd lights, display?

How old is it?

Hi
Yes the lights come on the base unit and stay on and the dvd/cdrom lights flash for a couple of seconds only

Marty

Sponsored Links
How old is the machine?

First thoughts are hard drive. Does it sound like it's stalling? (you may have to remove the case to hear it.

If the computer is an older one, it could also be something to do with the power supply I suppose. Perhaps some kind of hardware based fault anyway.

Someone I know, recently had a similar problem and it turned out to be the DVD writer stopping boot-up. Presumably it was dragging the volts down required to run the computer. It might be worth unplugging one or two things to see if it then starts to boot properly.

Hi
The machine will be 3 years old next month, in the time i have had it i have not upgraded anything. I did put a dvd writer in it 1 year ago, new hard drive and extra memory but that has been it.

Will try out all of your suggestions and see if i get any luck thanks for your help

Martin

marty said:
Hi
The machine will be 3 years old next month, in the time i have had it i have not upgraded anything. I did put a dvd writer in it 1 year ago, new hard drive and extra memory but that has been it

A bit of a contradiction here I think?

Is it a branded machine?

What is the PSU rating?

Give us as much info as you can in one post. Makes like easier.

I would go for the power supply failing. Most shop bought systems come with a very low power supply spec, (350W) or less. When you add more items to the machine, it puts the smaller supply's under pressure and over time they will fail.

Your local Comp store will be able to test your old one, and supply a new replacement, I would go for something around the 450W margin.

Salem.

Also, you could reset the bios as there could be something in the bios causing these cold boots.

On some mobo's hitting the reset key can kickstart the Bios.

heeelllooo marty
if i start my pc to quicly the lights come on and it clicks only once[inside the pc] if this happens i just have to press the reset after waiting 2 or three seconds and it starts up

Hi All
Yes I am using a friends pc at the mo till i get mine up and running again.
Branded ?
Athlon amd 1600
512mb ram
nividia graphics card
windows xp (home ed)

when you hit the on button the lights come on but that is it, the monitor does not come on at all and there is no beeps at all. the cd/dvd rom still open and close. Hitting the restart button does not do anything at all, tried new graphics card but nothing still the same

please any help to get my pc back on again would be a great help

Marty

the monitor is turned on seperatly [on the monitor] but stays blank un till the tower starts normaly

havent tried any other function will try and do a false start later
sods law says it wont happen for ages :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
will be trying again abot 7 30 ish

no sod it i will shut down and try it now

typical marty :LOL: :LOL:

tried 3 times started normaly evert time :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
may be because its warm will try again later as i say

Sponsored Links
Back