problem with pipes or potterton puma 100e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potterton puma 100e. I tried to turn on the central heating but there's no heat reaching the radiatiors. There's plenty of hot water at the taps and the shower. When I turn on the CH the water seems to heat up past the diverter and goes about 1m down the pipe to just before the first junction. It's not very easy to get to. I checked the pump and it seems to turn fine when I unscrewed it a bit and pulled the spindle out a little. I'm guessing there might be a blockage in the pipe. I don't know if it would be air or sludge or the best way to go about getting things running again.

Sponsored Links
most likely the wax capsule on the diverter valve is stuck very common on this boiler

most likely the wax capsule on the diverter valve is stuck very common on this boiler

Thanks for your quick reply. Am I best to deassemble and try to clean or to buy a new one? The cheapest I can see is £75 on ebay.

Is there anything else I ought to check before ordering the part. I had a problem last winter too but I left the boiler on all the time and it sprang into life one day when I was at work.

in that case I would say its definately the wax capsule, if you are competent in DIY then remove it and clean it you have nothing to lose it might work sometimes they are just cruded up and a good clean does it , if not you havent lost anything and it will be good practice if you have to replace it, there was a post on here not so long ago and the capsule was about £30 I think cant really remember, but most places will only sell the complete valve, if you have to get the complete valve split it and change the wax capsule the valve is an absolute **** to change

Sponsored Links
in that case I would say its definately the wax capsule..... the valve is an absolute **** to change

I got the full diverter valve on ebay. I put it in today and now everything seems to be working fine. The back connection to the valve was a real struggle to get off. The old valve was quite dirty inside which worries me a bit. I wouldn't want to be changing the diverter again in the near future.

Is there an easy way to clean out the CH system so the diverter doesn't get stuck again?

You can chemically clean the system but the best acidic chems will put the rads at risk of leaking!

I would use citric acid just ing the boiler!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back