Problem with Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am in the process of renovating a house that looks like cowboys got too.

I have reached the front door porch and I noticed that whoever put the PVC porch on left the void for where the old door would have stood completely open. And simply covered it with Plasterboard.

I drilled a hole in the plasterboard to find the inner brick and outer brick and the outerbrick was damp.

Whats the best way of fixing a problem like that.

1. I've read cavity closers but that still means some external brick will be on the 'inside' of the house?
  2. If I say put a dpm on the outer leaf and run it to the pvc door how to I fix it to the brick?
For a first house purchase this house has been riddled with problems and this is the last one.

As you can see in the pictures below it appears the PVC door is anchored onto the outer brick.

1. IMG_20151022_082359839.jpg
    IMG_20151022_082408666.jpg
    IMG_20151022_082411658.jpg

Sponsored Links
Post a view from the outside showing the whole elevation and the other side of that window or door whatever it is

Hey,

I attach a view of the outside so you can sort of see whats going on.

Basically the old door would have fan flush but the old lady living here before us had the cowboys in who threw this thing in place of the door by fixing the frame to two outside walls and covering the mess with plasterboard inside.

Hence why I can see the exposed brickwork behind the plasterboard. because instead of closing it and making good they covered it with a batten on either side of the void and put plasterboard over it.
DoorOutside.png

Sponsored Links
You'll need to take the plaster off, and wrap the end of the external skin in polythene.

Tuck one edge of the polythene between the frame and the wall, then put the other end in the cavity. Close the cavity with some expanding foam or insulation, then board over and replaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back