Problem with power supply to shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am having a problem with my shower and was hoping one of you could help.
My old shower developed a leak so I have bought exactly the same model hoping I could just swap them.
Did that earlier today but I have a question about the electric supply which goes into the shower in that the wire is too fat to go into the lego brick thingy inside the shower.
The people who fittet the shower originally got round this by bending some of the strands back so not all of it went in. :eek:
My question is simply, is it okay to do this? Seems a bit dodgy to me but what do I know! :confused:
And if it isn't, is there a way round it??

Sponsored Links
No it is not OK to bend the conductors back. All of them must be terminated.

The cable's conductors are sized to carry the maximum current. If some are bent back then it can cause overheating - that may have been the cause of the failure of your original shower?

What make and model is the shower that you have bought/replaced.

No it is not OK to bend the conductors back. All of them must be terminated.

The cable's conductors are sized to carry the maximum current. If some are bent back then it can cause overheating - that may have been the cause of the failure of your original shower?

Great!

What make and model is the shower that you have bought/replaced.

It's a Mira Essentials 8.5Kw jobby.

can't see why you can't get the cable in this shower takes a 10mm cable quite easy.
what size cable are you using ?

Sponsored Links
The diameter of the cable core is a 5mm circle.
If that measurement is fairy accurate, it sounds as if you probably have 16mm² cable, which is unusually (and probably unnecessarily) large for an 8.5 Kw shower feed, and therefore might explain your problem.

Kind Regards, John.

Am I okay to just replace the lego brick thingy with one with a bigger hole?
That's probably what I would do if it were mine (assuming there was adequate space), but since the connector block is presumably part of the shower, by so doing the manufacturer might try to argue that by changing it you had invalidated the warranty.

Kind Regards,John.

Am I okay to just replace the lego brick thingy with one with a bigger hole?
That's probably what I would do if it were mine (assuming there was adequate space), but since the connector block is presumably part of the shower, by so doing the manufacturer might try to argue that by changing it you had invalidated the warranty.

Kind Regards,John.

Cool, thanks John. There is deffo enough space so I'll do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back