problem with silicon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just fited new upvc windows. the dpm on the reveals was not straight so i put some silicon in the gap, so that when i made good nothing would bridge the outside and inside walls. I have now noticed that the dpm is dripping black liquid. I persume something in the silicon has reacted.

What should i do. shall i just make good over it, or will it soak through my walls? as the gap is only about 10mm round the window i can't even really get in there. Will it dry up eventually?

Sponsored Links
its the oil coming out of the dpc every time i fit a window i always put a cement fillet around it it looks neater than silicone and gives a better weather seal just unibond over the dpc than apply the fillet 2 in 1 mix

Tough call this one Steve. Sounds like the VOC's in the silicone have reacted with the asphalt in the dpm. Personally I think it'll be fine when you give it a day to dry so you'll just be able to make good with plaster. I really can't see it bleeding through.

Sponsored Links
its been over a week now i tried wiping part of it and it just starts again after a few hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back