Problem with varnished wood window surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have UPVC windows that have varnished wooden trim around them. One of the rooms has had a problem with condensation and there is a bit of mould on the varnished wood.

I'm planning to paint the other varnished window surrounds in the house with Sikkens BL primer and Satura water based paint.

Would this be suitable for the window which has had mould on it, or should I use something else?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Mix up a solution of one part bleach to three parts water and use it to wash off the mould, then clean the area with cold clean water.
The BL is supposed to be quite good on adhesion but technically you should use a high grip primer over varnish as well as a sealer in case of the off chance of bleed through (from oil based coating or hardwood frames). As suggested in the other thread zinsser bullseye 123 is a good primer/sealer to use.

Edit : Thats all presuming the condensation problem is sorted, zinsser do a mould resistant coating but can't remember which one it is off the top of my head, check their site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back