Problems putting up shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a bit of a novice as you'll be able to tell from the following question. I am having some trouble drilling into an internal brick wall so that I can put up some shelves. I can only drill about 12" before the drill will not go any further. Can anyone tell me why this would be and how I get around i? My drill is 18v and I am using a 6mm masonry bit.

Thanks

Mal

Sponsored Links
Probably the flutes get blocked with brick dust. But 12" seems an extraordinary depth - why do you need to drill so deep ?

mal - have you missed-out the / so it reads 1/2" (as in ½")?

Yes sorry, for some reason the "\" disappeared when I posted and I didn't notice.

It is barely going in 1/2 " before it will not go any further.

Sponsored Links
Well it's a drill driver....not sure it is a hammer drill because it doesn't have an obvious "hammer" setting", unless it is just the highest setting

A drill/driver does not have hammer, you need another drill.

Its going through the 1/2" of plaster then hitting the brick

Jason

That's the same conclusion I was coming to, so I've managed to get someone to lend me their power drill tomorrow.

Thanks for the help anyway

Well I managed to get the drilling done and the shelves up.....for about 10 mins.

The shelves are the natural pine wooden ones from B&Q and they have very dodgey brackets.......so dodgey in fact that the brackets broke as soon as I put a couple of things on them......looks like I am going to have to go and get some different brackets :( .......not sure I am cut out for this DIY malarky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back