Problems with Miele Premier Novo Washing Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have the above washing machine which is about 16 years old. There's a couple of problems now. Firstly there is water building up in the drum between uses and secondly the rinse light flashes when I am washing towels. I have also noticed that for heavy loads it makes a really loud banging sound. It still seems to be washing ok though!

I don't really want to be spending lots of money getting Miele out as I would rather put that towards a new machine if necessary!

Any ideas what is going on and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The drum filling between uses - is the water clean or dirty?

Banging when spinning - could be as simple as new support springs or suspension arms though if no regular maintenance then more likely bearings - good news is they can be replaced. Please note-newer cheaper machines last 2/5 years with many problems and mostly have sealed drums meaning bearings cannot be replaced.

Hi, thanks for replying. The water is clean.

I'm afraid that it has had little maintenance, what photos do you need? Also if you can advise where to purchase parts that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Clean water would indicate its filling from the water inlet hose so possibly a leaking inlet valve inside the machine.

Open the powder drawer and remove careful not to break the retaining clip/clasp.
Dry the inside of the housing (and the top where the inlet jets are) and do not use machine for a few hours. Check later to see if its wet inside. If it is the inlet valve(s) need replacing.
Hot and cold fill? Or cold only? 16 yrs old so probably both. Which one do you replace, possibly both as they are probably one unit joined together but could be separate valves.

If the water is dirty, its syphoning back from the sink waste. Is the waste pipe connected to the sink 'U' bend or to a separate waste outlet pipe?
'U' bend could be sludged up and waste water from sink is slow to drain and working its way back to the machine rather than out to the mains waste route.
The drain pump/hose should have a rubber valve that prevents back syphoning but could be stuck/jammed open allowing water to drain back into drum.

Sponsored Links
Can be tricky determining whether its the springs/suspension legs or bearings without replacing parts and accumulating cost.

Holding top and bottom of the inner drum and moving up/down, forward/backward is there any obvious movement of the inner drum? Note: the whole outer and inner drums will move together but does the inner drum feel loose inside the outer drum indicating failed bearings.

Ever had oil spots on laundry? A sure sign of failed bearing seal but this only indicates the inner bearing has failed, not a sign of outer bearing failure.

You could remove the top cover and put a wash load on and watch the drum to see how it is moving around. If its hitting on the side panels or motor banging against the rear panel (usually see dent marks on the inner/outer of the panels, its likely springs/suspension struts. Also does the whole machine jump around or excessive vibration?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back