problems with rayburn royal 1979 with original oil burner

Echo oilman's thoughts, they are simple, do the simple things right!
The only probem generally with float controls is the screwdriver in the calibration screws.
Moving the unit outside is a mistake as in cold weather the oil can thicken sufficiently to cause problems in the feed pipe from the unit to the burner especially when it has to overcome the extra resistance to flow causedby lengthening the run with only a 6mm head. 'Going out' is a classic symptom of too low a fuel delivery. Have you checked the pipe from the tank to the float control? Isolate the tank, disconnect the pipe from the float control and turn the fuel back on. Let a good 2 - 3 litres of fuel through to ensure there is no blockage. If the flow slows noticably, that is where your problem lies. Artificially filling the burner to start it should not be necessary. There should be sufficient level in the burner after 10-15 mins to light the burner.

thanks, this seems the right thing for me to do. will need to move the unit back in again anyway.

Sponsored Links
I got called out years ago to an oil fired Esse cooker where someone had changed lots of parts without fixing the problem. It was a blocked oil filter on the tank outlet.

thanks, will need to change filter to eliminate this possibility, have never done it in 7 years !!

Drops per min? I haven't a clue. Have you got a manual? Try here quickly as they seem to have removed the access link.

It is set at low = 4cc/min and high=8cc/min, then you throw it all away and set the high so it doesn't have yellow in the flame.

Drops per min? I haven't a clue. Have you got a manual? Try here quickly as they seem to have removed the access link.

It is set at low = 4cc/min and high=8cc/min, then you throw it all away and set the high so it doesn't have yellow in the flame.

thanks, this link is very useful, since i couldn't access the link given in a previous thread. i am full of hope to solve it. just now we can not get outside since the hurricane winds are in the process of destroying what remains of the scottish infrastucture.

Sponsored Links

4cc /min is correct for low flame. If you have the 8" burner, then high fire is 13cc/min. If set at this, then instead of lowering the high fire, just dont turn it up too high.

4cc /min is correct for low flame. If you have the 8" burner, then high fire is 13cc/min. If set at this, then instead of lowering the high fire, just dont turn it up too high.

yes, thanks i have the 8 inch burner. will post results..... once i am able to get outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back