Problems with Sentinel Concentrate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over a year ago I switched from an open-vented central heating system to a sealed system when I had a new Vaillant Ecotec Plus 618 boiler installed in my home. However, I kept the existing 7 radiators. When I had the boiler serviced for the first time 2 weeks ago the engineer told me that the water in the system was black with iron oxide, despite the boiler installer apparently using Sentinel X100 after its installation.

The service engineer recommended using Sentinel X400 to clean the sludge from the radiators and then Sentinel X100 to prevent further iron oxide forming. He also said that the X200 solution was very good at reducing boiler noise (the boiler tends to click quite loudly when running). I decide to buy all 3 solutions in concentrate form (for injecting directly into a radiator).

Because of the condition of the existing water I decided to drain the system prior to injecting the X400. I then followed these instructions:

1. On one radiator, tighten down the manual control valve until it is well seated.
2. Remove the cap from the lockshield valve and tighten down the spindle.
3. Because the system was mostly empty of water I reasoned that I didn't need to drain off 1 litre of water prior to injecting the cleansing agent as instructed.
4. Remove the bleed valve. Inject cleansing agent into the system via the radiator bleed valve.

When I came to inject the X400 into the bleed valve, although most of it went in, a fair amount bled back out - probably just under a quarter of the tube - almost as if the air in the radiator was preventing it entering. Can someone advise me as to what I was doing wrong?

The solutions are quite expensive so I want to avoid the same thing happening when I inject the X100 and X200.

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Not a fan of the concentrates, or the methods of adding them to the system.

I would relieve the pressure in the system first prior to adding, but.......

once connected to the air screw you would be well advised to open one of the rad-valves to allow the expansion vessel to accept the dose of chemicals.

AND, where do you think the x400 puts the sludge?, the system needs draining and flushing through once it has done its bit, before you add the x100 + x200

DH

Thanks DH

I was going to flush out the X400 before adding the other solutions - I'm just a bit concerned I didn't get enough of the X400 in the system to do any good.

Jim

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back