Process for block and beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Learning as I'm going and its going well. Could someone advise me please - running block and beam - would you cement the underside of the DPM which the block sits on?

I know the beams just sit on the top of the dpm and once you've blocked it you run a cement mix effectively grouting the blocks and binding them together.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless the manufacturer specifies otherwise, all DPCs should be bended on a solid bed of mortar. There is no DPM.

Thanks @^woody^ I was getting my c's and m's mixed up but I understand so thank you.

Just to double check another thing. Do you run the the first beam on top of the first course of the internal block or should this sit to the side. Ive taken a couple of pictures to show what its like currently with a illustrated image of what I mean

20210212_084910.jpg
20210212_084912.jpg
20210212_084958 - with beam rn.jpg
20210212_084958 - with beam.jpg
20210212_084958.jpg

When parallel to the wall, the beam sits to the side of the wall, like a wooden floor joist would be, so that the wall can continue upwards.

Sponsored Links
No, run the beam alongside and lay the first block from the beam to the inner leaf if necessary. After you've prep'd and tidied up underneath of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back