Professional or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this the professional of fitting a thermostat to a hw tank ?
IMG_5835.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Absolutely not. That tape will fall off PDQ. It's already failing at the ends. Mine is held in place with what looks like a curtain wire spring thingy. I'm not entirely sure that is professional but it's been like it for 30 odd years that I know of although I did change the stat a while back but the springy thing remains.

Attachments

• stat.jpg
    stat.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 42
No, but on a positive note at least you have a cylinder thermostat (assuming it works)

Sponsored Links
All the one's I fitted came with the curtain wire thing. OTOH if you have a decent amount of insulation that doesn't hold it in without some bodging.

As above, no it’s not professional - far from it. Should have something similar. Looks new, so should have been provided with correct materials.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The professional changed it recently.
The tank was changed some 2yrs ago using the original stat without spring/band but may had adhesive to hold ?
The stat in image was fitted this week by a pro repairing a hot water not heating issue.

You can see the recess behind the brown tape where the strap should be fitted, similar to attached detail.

Attachments

• IMG_4530.jpeg
    IMG_4530.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 30
To be fair, it's equally as professional as the tank stand and the speedfit hanging loose.

It should have the spring wire as already mentioned, this comes with a new cylinder stat, in the box.

Reactions: CBW
To be fair, it's equally as professional as the tank stand and the speedfit hanging loose.

It should have the spring wire as already mentioned, this comes with a new cylinder stat, in the box.
That tank stand has been there for some 37 yrs when house was built and the speedfit attached to copper pipe is pipe clipped to the frame holding the pipework in situ.

If the tape had been applied neatly and around as far as one could reach - no one would know it didn't go all the way round (y)

Reactions: CBW
Wrong wire as well but guy has only used existing .
The curtain wire type band may still be in the box he threw in bin

Last edited:
Wrong wire as well but guy has only used existing .
The curtain wire type band may still be in the box he threw in bin
The original stat did not have a curtain spring or band to hold it in position, it was just attached by some form of adhesive.
The guy who fitted the new stat, never mentioned anything about spring etc. Just job was done and working ‍♂️

The original stat did not have a curtain spring or band to hold it in position, it was just attached by some form of adhesive.
The guy who fitted the new stat, never mentioned anything about spring etc. Just job was done and working ‍♂️
the band comes in the box with the new stat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back