Who is professionally competent to relocate a CH radiator?

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
All I can hear from the OP is CHEAP/CHEAP/CHEAP.

Lets hope the guy who does the work can speak English and has PL.

If it's cheap, cheap, cheap all the way, more likely to have the 'PL' on his number plate. ;)

View media item 43648
FFS. OP - just get someone recommended by friends, relatives, and get the bloody thing moved. The council will never find out.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the council assume plumber = gas safe because they probably put all their in-house plumbers through gas safe certification.

However what the council *really* want (although they may not know it) is for you to use a proper tradesman with liability insurance so if the new radiator leaks and the floorboards rot and the house falls down, the council aren't left with the bill.

Although the work does not directly involve gas fitting, the system involves a gas boiler.

I think the case here is that everybody would agree that a plumber is professionally competent to relocate a CH radiator and to rebuild the CH loop pressure. I think I may get a problem only if a plumber is not gas safe, and is not an insured tradesman. So, I need to go for both, if I don't go with a heating engineer. Which I imagine is dearer than a plumber.

Does that sound about right?

Flaming Nora. Are you moving a radiator or rebuilding the great wall of China?

How much procrastination and soul searching are you planning? Shall I get the popcorn out?

IT'S NOT F@CKING ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!,get who ever you want to do the job. I dont think there has ever been such a long winded post for such a standard job. Come on OP. you surely cant still be unsure what you need to do.

Sponsored Links
Flaming Nora. Are you moving a radiator or rebuilding the great wall of China?

How much procrastination and soul searching are you planning? Shall I get the popcorn out?

Basically, I'm trying to minimise my costs, and I had this notion of contracting with a tradesman calling himself a heating engineer, or gas engineer, but I now wonder if to do so is to be financially disadvantaged. So, it of practical concern to me that I understand about who I can approach.

I already saved 25% when I went to a builder, rather than a chartered surveyor to certify the status of a wall.

You have to comprehend I'm under direction, under conditions! If you cannot get that you cannot grasp my situation.

If there is any benefit to this thread, it's my readiness to simply seek quotes from plumbers who are gas safe. Which may prove beneficial. I was not initially going in that direction.

Basically, it is possible that even a council approved gas safe registered could be a fast tracked spotty youth with a log book listing basic competence for any conceivable plumbing or gas installation job. He or she could also have public and personal liabilty insurance should she or he forget to set the depth of their circular saw just deep enough to rip thru the t&g on the floor board(s) to acces the floor or floor/ceiling void to access and alter the f&r pipe run(s) :!: :?: So that they are less likely to damage any other installation runs plumb, gas or electrical. (one day I will develop x-ray vision instead of having to 2nd guess:cool:
However, as long as the person is competent, experienced, recommended, can give you additional references (you will, should you choose to take these up ask how the 3rd party got the plumber's number, were they neat tidy, courteous and respectfull, did they hit targets vis-a-vis pricing and *timing *arrive on time complete work on schedule etc) so long as they didn't give you the phone number of their bassie mate, mum, partner etc YOU NEED TO ASK and if in doubt politely make your excuses n show em the door.
You dont need a gas safe registered person tho.... despite the issues re refilling and venting... oh and dont forget balancing = distribution system if required.
You argument (pardon the pun) doesn't hold water!
:unsure: :unsure: for example.... if joists need to be notched or drilled to alter the f&r pipework then surely... by your argument... you will still need a structural engineer to examine the loadbearing integrity of the floor hasn't been adversely affected/compromised :eek: Or by further extension/exemplar you will need a joiner to access and replace the boards after the plumber and gas safe engineer has inspected the pipe alterations/joists... oh! before I forget... :rolleyes: dont forget the carpet fitter to roll back and stretch the carpet back into position over the gripper rods (I have a knee kicker you can borrow... (for a fee as long as I instruct you and certify you in its correct and safe use) wouldn't want a legal suit bearing down on me if you pricked your finger on the gripper.... have you had your tetanus booster! :rolleyes:
Regardless of whether you get the council to do the job or get a self appointed PLUMBER to do the work... all you need is an experienced accredited PLUMBER adequately insured to do the work. Take note though If :eek: If, if the plumber is called lech and hails from warsaw if it all goes tats oop you have to pay again for some1 else to put it all right!

Point noted whitespirit..... if I had a penny for allo the jobs I quoted for... was undercut by... and had to go back afterwards to put things right... cos ppp's appointed johnny foreigners to do the work after showing em my letterheaded quotes... I'd probably permanently reside in California... instead of having to tolerate the mother in laws cooking. Still back in blighty come Friday!

suicide2.gif

Regardless of whether you get the council to do the job or get a self appointed PLUMBER to do the work... all you need is an experienced accredited PLUMBER adequately insured to do the work.

Because I've been dictated conditions by the council of getting the name of a Gas Engineer and provide a tradesman who is Gas Safe, it's not been immediately apparent what my scope is regarding the tradesman.

That is the issue that I've been trying to solve here.

It was not obviously apparent to me that a plumber was going to be acceptable.

I think I'm probably on safer ground if the plumber is gas safe. Well, the council has asked for that.

Of course I can ask the council about what exactly they mean by their conditions, if I ask them, but I wanted some input from here first.

[quote="richard7761";p="2326316]
You have to comprehend I'm under direction, under conditions! If you cannot get that you cannot grasp my situation.
[/quote]

Most of us are married on here mate. We feel your pain! :LOL:

[quote="richard7761";p="2326316]You have to comprehend I'm under direction, under conditions! If you cannot get that you cannot grasp my situation.

Most of us are married on here mate. We feel your pain! :LOL:[/quote]

And quite right. :)

Anyway, I'm done. It's been tortuous, but I reckon I'm better prepared regarding how to proceed with getting this radiator relocated.

Thanks to all contributors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back