Profile Gauges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where can I buyor hire a large profile gauge??
I am a very desperate DIY'er.

Many thanks

Paul Rogers

Sponsored Links
Trying to get the profile of a sink!!! Need to cut MDF board to fit under sink. Not having much fun!!!! :mad: :evil:

not exactly shure whether you mean horizontal or verticle
[not that it matters]why not cut a bit of cardboard to the
offending shape and copy that onto the mdf which should
be thoroughly sealed to stop it blowing when wet

big all

Sponsored Links
Assuming the sink is not handed, lay it upside down and mark around it, then mark a line inside this by the required amount which should not be too hard. I doubt that you will find a gauge the size of a sink even a very small wash hand basin.

Jason

What about using a flexicurve?

Ask any draftsmen or old-school engineers you might know. Proper engineers who smoke pipes, have drawing boards and own dogs with politically incorrect names (we've all seen The Dambusters!)

Alternatively you could just buy one. I believe they even sell them in WHSmiths. It looks like a length of plastic, about a centimetre by a centimetre. You bend it and it keeps the form until you bend it elsewhere.

AdamW said:
Ask any draftsmen or old-school engineers you might know. Proper engineers who smoke pipes, have drawing boards and own dogs with politically incorrect names (we've all seen The Dambusters!)
I used to have one of those and I used to smoke a pipe. My dog was called Butch. If he had been a female I would probably have changed the "u" to an "i" :). Yes, you're right, flexicurves are available at WHSmiths (or were, last time I looked) and just about any craft shop.

Why not take it as a challenge to work out how the thing was drawn in the first place. Take wild guess, and offer up a reconstruction, and then refine your assumption till you get it right. It may take longer, but imagine how impressed your friends will be when you casually say, "course, I noticed straight away, that the front of the sink forms part of an ellipse with a major axis of 39cm and a minor axis of 27cm" :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back