Programmable Room Stat Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new Grant 15/26 Outdoor boiler fitted + Albion Ultrasteel 210 unvented tank. System now comprises 1 underfloor heating circuit & 17 rads + hot water. Plumbers quote excluded thermostats and i didn't realise that I no longer needed a central heating programmer but can run the whole setup via programmable room stats. What would you recommend as a good quality, easy to use 7 day programable stat to run the 3 zones. Plumber says to see my sparky, sparky just wants to fit whatever I supply.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated, ease of use is a must as her indoors will need to be able to use it too :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Just had a new Grant 15/26 Outdoor boiler fitted + Albion Ultrasteel 210 unvented tank. System now comprises 1 underfloor heating circuit & 17 rads + hot water. ... What would you recommend as a good quality, easy to use 7 day programmable stat to run the 3 zones.
You can't get a three channel programmable stat. In any case control of heating and hot water need different thermostats.

I suggest a single channel programmer for the hot water, which connects to the thermostat on the Albion cylinder. The HW programmer can be fitted next to the cylinder as it's rarely altered. If you get a Honeywell ST9100C,it has a one hour boost function, useful if you need to top the HW up.

See ST9100C

As for the CH, it all depends on how much control you want.

If you need to be able to set varying temperatures at different times of the day and different days of the week, you will need something like a Honeywell CM907 (wired) or CM907 (wireless); but you will need two as they are only single channel.

See Programmable Thermostats

If you just need to control the times and have no need for varying temperatures - or are content to alter them by hand if necessary, then the Honeywell Sundial RF² Pack 5 would be suitable. This consists of the ST9520C Wireless Enabled 2 Zone Programmer and two DT92E Wireless Room Thermostats.

See Sundial Pack 5

cylinder is in the loft which is a bit of a pain to get the controller to, can I run one 2 zone stat for rads and water (operating each separately) and a single zone for the underfloor? Do I need a main controller unit or is it possible to wire in such a way that it directly controls the boiler?

Thks

cylinder is in the loft which is a bit of a pain to get the controller to
But the controller can be on the first floor connected by a cable through the ceiling to the cylinder!

can I run one 2 zone stat for rads and water (operating each separately) and a single zone for the underfloor?
Yes. A Honeywell Sundial RF2 Pack 2 This is a two channel programmer with a wireless-linked thermostat. You still need to wire it to the cylinder ( possibly via a central junction box.

Alternatively you may be able to use a Sundial RF2 Pack 3, which is similar to the Pack2, but has a wireless connection to the cylinder thermostat. You should make sure it is compatible with the Albion Cylinder

In both case a Honeywell CM907/927 could be used for the underfloor zone.

Do I need a main controller unit or is it possible to wire in such a way that it directly controls the boiler?
No need for a master controller. They will be connected in parallel, so each one will control the boiler independently of the others. They control via motorized valves in the three circuits. The programmer/stat opens the valve when heat is required and a switch in the valve turns the boiler on.

Sponsored Links
Fabulous, thanks for your advice will show the sparkys and get them to sort it.

Much appreciated :)

Hi,
sorry for my question. I bought as a package the Honeywell CM907 and ST9100C. I can't understand the difference between the both of them. I bought them from ebay I only installed CM907. But I would like to know if there is a difference between then.
thanks

Hi Torjan you would be better starting your own thread and put the model numbers in the title and you will get the answer you need

In the mean time, one is a timer, and the other an intelligent thermostat solely for the heating.

If the difference is not immediately obvious, call a professional.

In the mean time, one is a timer, and the other an intelligent thermostat solely for the heating.

If the difference is not immediately obvious, call a professional.
Thanks Dan, well then, can I Install both of them together or I need to install only one of them ? thanks

Thanks for all your replies.
Let me explain better what I have installed this year.
I have a combi boiler BS II 24 FF ARISTON. (http://www.ariston.com/baltic/BS)
The boiler is used for heating the house and for hot water in the house. The technician just installed a normal thermostat Honeywell T6360. The control from that thermostat was used to control the heat of all the house.

I wanted to change that one for an automatic thermostat so I bought on ebay a package of both CM907 and ST9100C.
Reading some forum's I found out how to install the CM907. I didn't install the ST9100C, now I would like to know if it is useful to add it to my installation otherwise I will sell it.
thank you all for your quick replies and help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back