programmer wires??!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
should a central heating/hot water porgrammer have 2 elctrical cables from it?? One going to the terminal box to join the other wires from the pump, stst, etc, but what's the other one for??!!

Sponsored Links
Programmers generally have a N, E, Maintained L coming into them from the wiring centre (JB) or the FCU supplying the system. From there they have a Switched Live (terminals 4 & 5 is common) that goes on via the wiring centre to the room and cylinder stats.

Except on new build I rarely encounter central heating wiring systems that are the same, they are so flexable, once you get your head around them its pretty easy though.

thanks for your help.

i know that for a y-plan wiring terminal box there will be 25 wires joining up (in different ways obviously) in total.

My terminal box has 22.

BUT the programmer has a separate 3 core wire going into the fused spur near it with 3 more wires (blue brown and green/yellow). so i guess these 3 wires link up here instead of going up to the terminal box and coming back down again?

also the fused spur has 2 more leads going into it. one is 3 core, brown/blue and green/yellow. i guess this is from the FCU. But the other one, just 2 core, blue and ggreen/yellow, where is this from? I can see the brown core has been cut from it. AM a bit puzzled!!!

Sponsored Links
we have no idea and no way of knowing where your cable goes. as i said follow it and see, its the only way :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back