programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last winter my siemans programmer stopped working, I bought a replacement RWB9.cw and wired up exactly as instructions and everything worked fine until summer (but as my heating was always on, no suprise as hot water came on with heating).

With the arrival of summer and no requirement for heating, I turned my heating off and used the hot water only mode, but to may amazement, the heating came on and the hot water also kicked in. I couldn't turn on the hot water without the central heating.

Upon investigation, and after consultation with a plumber friend of mine (who said it would more than likely be my motorised control valve). I bought and fitted a new sunvic 3 port motorised valve.

Now when switching on hot water, only the heating kicks in, the water doesn't get hot.

I would be grateful for anyone's advice on this.

Sponsored Links
Does the hot water come on if you switch on the heating?

If so; you've probably fitted the valve the wrong way round ;)

I can't switch on the heating without the hot water also automatically coming on. I suspected that it may be the wrong way around, but I did fit the valve the same way as the previous valve, also the heating pump kicks in when the water is switched on.

So, yes... The hot water comes on if you switch on the heating, correct?

-------------

To confirm the valve orientation:

There should be an "A" and "B" on the valve outlets....

The "A" should go to the pipe which goes to the radiators and the "B" should go to the pipe which connects into the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
it appears that the B goes to the cylinder - what do you think would happen if I turned the valve around?

Does this new programmer have to be set for gravity or fully pumped with some dip switches on the back?

Take it off and have a look. Sounds like it is set for a gravity system.

it's got dip switches on the back and the last dip switch is for gravity/fully pumped.
I've double checked the position of these and they are all ok according to instruction leaflet.
As soon as I swithc hot water in on position pump kicks in and central heating is fired up.
I believe the system is a pumped central heating and gravity hot water.

Thanks Dan, I'll double check that then, I always thought when it was installed that it was gravity hot water.

now set to fully pumped - but still with only hot water switched on, it's the central heating that comes on (without hot water).

Wired up wrong or 3 port valve wrong way round or incorrectly wired.

GeckoGas-com said:
What Sunvic 3 Port did you use?

new valve sunvic SDMV2304

old valve was towerMP3 - 22C

I wired exactly as old valve and fitted valve with ports A & B in same position, also wired RWB9.cw as instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back