program's for making plans / eiring diagrams etc...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you guys use when you haveto make plans, distributions diagrams etc... i've just started using illustrator which does the job ok but is quite fiddly. I would like to get a program that is intended for doing it but haven't come across a cheap / free one anywhere?

Sponsored Links
I draw schematics (amongst other things) for a living in the petrochem industry. Virtually all new wiring diagrams start off life on a bit of paper drawn by hand. It's the text that is the tricky bit as most people write in joined up writing and is thus unintelligable to anyone else apart from themselves:)

Probably the easiest tool to use in terms of PC generated drawings is the drawing tool in excel (goto view, toolbars and click on drawing) you'll find a menu that will give you a very easy way to draw straight lines and insert text. Have a play with it, it doesn't take too long to get used to it.

Of the CAD program's, Autocad is widely used as is a program called microstation but they cost £1,000s. There is an Autocad program called Autocad lite which is £600-800 I think but can be used on an ordinary desktop. Unfortunately, to pick it up without any tuition can be pretty difficult (although you'll find local collages will run evening classes in it).

If it's just for a one off, buy a pad of graph paper, a decent ruler, a circle template, a couple of different sized and hardness pencils and lots of erazers (rubbers in old language). You'd probably pick up an old drawing board for peanuts these days too if you really wanted to get into it. Print your text though, no joined up writing.

If you want to keep a record of it, buy a scanner.

Sponsored Links
Jonny7 said:
Probably the easiest tool to use in terms of PC generated drawings is the drawing tool in excel (goto view, toolbars and click on drawing)

Also available in Word (for if you're more used to using that programm)

I always use MS Visio ... Not cheap but versatile and easy to use. Not found anything I can't do with it (as yet).

Back