PROJECT: Table Top......help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i just joined and this is my first post.

my landlady had a table which was made of concrete and topped with terracotta tiles.
she left it out over the winter and because M&S didn't instruct her to treat it or she didn't rtfi the terracotta tiles became waterlogged and shattered in the winter.

so i took the back end of an axe to the concrete and separated the upper frame from the concrete.

....so now i have a frame.
i planned to put in some kind of support and tile over the top with something porcelain so it could stay put during the winter but have been told by a tiler that it cannot be done cost efectively.

my problem is 1, cost and 2 the landlady's taste.

she wanted a granite top for it which is fine but how do yousecure it without seeing the bolts???

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO TURN THIS BACK INTO A TABLE ARE WELCOME!

option 1: use the frame as pictured
option 2: put table top on struts without frame

thanks in advance
al

View media item 24033 View media item 24034 View media item 24035 View media item 24036

Sponsored Links
depending on the thickness of the granite, you could drill a few blind holes in the right place and epoxy / resin a bit of all thread into the hole..

if it's only thin stuff then you get a piece of WBP and use countersunk bolts on it to the frame, then glue / silicone the granite to that ( same as they do for kitchen counters.. )

I'm not a tiler but how about a couple of layers of concrete backer board ( as they call it on this old house.. ), the stuff used for wet room walls, then tile on top?

Get some reclaimed timber planks, perhaps 50mm thick x 3" wide- get it planed down etc and put them on top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back