Proof to support creationism?

This is what concerns me, suddenly we occupy this tiny bit of time and space is it not arrogance for us to decide that there is no god, is this enlightenment? I can't get my head round all this religion malarkey don't mean its wrong and because we've misused and abused in the name of religion maybe that's all part of the greater picture but we're to low in the order of things to understand it?.I was talking to a friend yesterday who's brother survived the tsunami and I said it must make you religious and he said it makes you wonder why any god if there is one could be so cruel so I guess its back to the half full or half empty, I don't subscribe to it but it must be great to have absolute faith. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Adam, firstly let me say that I do not believe the Big bang took place. I am more than capable of interpreting the Data used to suppoprt the theory and I find it wanting. I am an Electrical Engineer, but I also have a first class Honours degree in Astronomy, so my understanding is somewhat above the average, but not all, amateurs.

Regarding God, I don't think I said people where wrong to beleive in a God, misguided yes, but I have not said they should stop or anything of that nature, so some of your comments are little on the presumptive side.

My personal believe is that if individuals wish to be religious, then that is their choice as it's their life, however I do not believe there is any place for ORGANISED or Centralised religions, as it is these institutions that breed contempt, misunderstanding and ultimately conflict between different groups.

Regarding Virii, this is the accepted plural of Virus, as there is no such word as Viruses, just as people call things Dwarfs instead of Dwarves or Halfs instead of Halves....You may be correct on the Latin thing though, I have forgotten most of the Latin I ever learnt and could not possibly comment on the accuracy of your translation.

FWL_Engineer said:
Regarding Virii, this is the accepted plural of Virus, as there is no such word as Viruses, just as people call things Dwarfs instead of Dwarves or Halfs instead of Halves....You may be correct on the Latin thing though, I have forgotten most of the Latin I ever learnt and could not possibly comment on the accuracy of your translation.

I wan't sure if this was correct or not, but looking around, it would seem that viruses, dwarves and dwarfs are acceptable.

http://www.cknow.com/articles/35/1/Virus-Plural
http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/v/virus.html
http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/dwarf?view=uk

Igorian, they are acceptable if you speak crap English or American English, but they are not strictly grammatically correct for English

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
Igorian, they are acceptable if you speak rubbish English or American English, but they are not strictly grammatically correct for English

Says who?

Says the English Language matey.

I know that Americanisms have crept into our language, and that this is all part of a diverse and evolving language, but there are times when a stand must be made.

Incidently, I have looked up all the words in the hardcopy I have the the Concise Oxford English Dictionary 2005 Edition...6 volumes (not very concise if you ask me but then they didn't;D )

All are listed under the main listing as Americanisms that have "become popular in everyday usage although they are not yet officially accepted as English words"

I believe that when you are dead thats it - nothing else I'm afraid!

But surely if someone finds great comfort and security in believing in God and that helps them get through their life and death then thats a good thing for them? - who are we to judge?

Just because I don't agree with someones belief in God doesn't mean that I'm right (that would be too arrogant!).......I see it as differing opinions thats all. :)

my opinion on this. (this is very difficult for me to explain, but i hope you get the idea.)

in evolution, simple single-celled-organisms have evolved into more and more complex creatures. the simple organisms reacted in very simple ways to their surroundings ie move towards light etc.. if you think about it, humans too are reactionary. everything we do is dependent on our genes, past experiences and external stimuli. there is no real unpredictability in how we behave, even our moods can be altered with simple chemicals (hormones). if you were able to make a thorough enough simulation and include all the factors involved, you could essentially predict with 100% accuracy what a human is going to do next in any set of circumstances.

so then, we have no 'souls' or free will, nothing makes humans (or any other animals) special or different fundamentally from an amoeba. we are essentially machines (complex organic based ones). our thought processes, feelings, memories are all stored in the brain, and when our bodies die, so do 'we'. nothing that makes us unique is transferred anywhere, so there can't be an afterlife.

if we succeed in creating artificial life (no doubt we will one day), we will have proven that we are nothing more than machines ourselves. how absurd would it sound if these machines then started going on about having souls, heaven, reincarnation, god etc...

AdamW said:
Is there a god? I really don't know... there isn't conclusive proof either way!

the problem here is you would never be able to prove/disprove the existence of god. everything we know about our surroundings is through our senses. if someone suggested that you were part of a sophisticated truman show, you wouldn't be able to disprove it. if someone suggested that we are all being held as part of 'the matrix', or that we were computer programs running in a simulation (as in the film "the 13th floor"), you wouldn't be able to disprove it. you may laugh at someone for suggesting any of those 3 possibilities, and regard them as ridiculous, however they are just as likely as the existence of a god.

if we use occam's razor, it is then the simplest explanation ie no god that would be most likely. if any external being contributed toward life on earth, it wouldn't be a god but an alien (rather like that star trek next generation episode with the progenitors i think they're called). and this is the only type of 'god' that i think may exist. only scientific progress will help further knowledge of our origins.

if people want to believe in god or religion, then im fine with that, good on them. there are downsides however - religion has often restricted scientific progress (eg galileo), caused human suffering, and in one case (ie islam) can be extremely destructive on everything that society has learnt and progressed on. on the upside, religion has helped humans evolve socially, has helped interesting cultures and customs to develop, and also helps humans get around the very depressing subject of life and death.

the late Dave Allen siad it all really.

at the end of each show he would say "........................may your god go with you"

JulieL said:
I believe that when you are dead thats it - nothing else I'm afraid!

But surely if someone finds great comfort and security in believing in God and that helps them get through their life and death then thats a good thing for them? - who are we to judge?

Just because I don't agree with someones belief in God doesn't mean that I'm right (that would be too arrogant!).......I see it as differing opinions thats all. :)

I think people who believe in God is their way of coping with life in general. I get fed up when you get a religoius groups brainwashing their religion onto you they are correct in whatever they believing in, then this is when the trouble start!

masona said:
I get fed up when you get a religoius groups brainwashing their religion onto you they are correct in whatever they believing in, then this is when the trouble start!

The only times I have experienced 'religion pushing' are when the Jehovahs witness's and Mormons come knocking at the door - if you do engage them in conversation you can't get rid of them!! :rolleyes:

FWL_Engineer said:
Regarding Virii, this is the accepted plural of Virus, as there is no such word as Viruses,

Well, upon consultation with the Oxford English Dictionary, I can safely say that viruses is the accepted plural of virus, and "virii" doesn't even make a showing... but hey, what would THEY know! :LOL:

Last time I checked the OED was still published in England, and whilst it includes "ize" suffixes as an alternative to "ise" it is most certainly NOT a dictionary of American English.

FWL_Engineer said:
Igorian, they are acceptable if you speak rubbish English or American English, but they are not strictly grammatically correct for English

"virii" is not gramatically correct either... Following the rules you are using, it should be "viri", with a single 'i' ;)

FWL_Engineer said:
Says the English Language matey.

I know that Americanisms have crept into our language, and that this is all part of a diverse and evolving language, but there are times when a stand must be made.

Surely a contradiction?? Oh unless you wanna be French , yo mo' fo' !!

Oh, sorry, forgot, I'm old these days, pass me my old pipe 'n' slippers!!

AdamW said:
Yes, this is their "irreducable complexity" isn't it.

I always wonder if they have ever seen a jellyfish... technically an animal, but only because it doesn't slot into any other of the other kingdoms easily!

Like many other simple "animals" it has no brain (no brain, for chrissakes!), and hence does not have the wit and intellect to process imagery. Yet it has "ocelli", basically the evolutionary precursor to eyes. Photosensitive cells that detect changes in light, but can't form images.

But there are plenty of other animals that have non-ocular photosensitive cells and/or oculli. Many insects have occulli, in addition to their compound eyes. And there are mites that have no eyes and appear to have no evolutional ancestors with eyes either.

You can find them at www.accidenture.com

Apparently.

Sponsored Links
Back