Propoganda Disguised as Documentaries.

H

HerrNigred

Does anyone else get sick, tired and concerned about these programs that are masquerading as documentaries when in reality they are propoganda in nature.
I'm referring to the "Motorway Patrol", "Bait Car" and the like.

I have no respect for car criminals and I don't object to the entertainment value. It's the "and he was sent straight to jail" and "he got 6 months in the slammer" type messages at the end that makes these programs so horrendously propogandistic.

I don't need to be preached at about not nicking cars or driving dangerously, etc.
What is happening when these type of programs are being produced to unobtrusively influence the kids?
Is this acceptable use of TV as a medium?

BTW, I do use the off "button".

Sponsored Links
Watch practically no television these days as I have found there is more to life than slumping in an armchair for entertainment.

However, when I did watch these type of programmes I was always interested in what punishment the offenders received. Not as a deterrent to me but to see if, in my opinion, the sentences were 'fair' for the crime.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
In all the ones I watched, plenty of the criminals including joyriders were 'released without charge' or got 'three points on his licence'.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
There are now so few Police on patrol and the few who are, are so demoralised that the government has to create the impression that they are out there, busy as ever, stopping baddies and locking them up. Those Police - Camera - Action infomercials are a useful way of doing this while boosting the audience ratings.

The sad fact is that nowadays you can speed or break traffic laws with impunity as your chances of being caught heve never been lower - unless you're stupid enough to speed past a camera, in which case you deserve the fine for your own incompetence.

• Thanks
In all the ones I watched, plenty of the criminals including joyriders were 'released without charge' or got 'three points on his licence'.

I find them interesting and, yes, that's the sort of thing I seem to remember hearing far too often.

To me, thanks to the incompetent CPS and lenient courts, these TV programmes must ultimately encourage crime! I think the police must be banging their heads against the wall.

'propogandistic'......

Is that a real word?

Of course it is:
propo from the latin verb propos = to support
+
ganda, from the French word for Goose
+
istic either from the latin word meaning made of sticks, or from the Roman verb meaning to glue.

According to the following:
www.herrnigred.encyclopedia.com

you get propogandistic meaning to support geese made of sticks. :eek: ;)

Yes on the licence that they in fact often don't have, thats a real deterrent :rolleyes:

Must admit, I watch some of these programs now and then. Really makes me mad that scrotes are getting let off with a few quid fine and a few hours of community service, whilst the victims are left to pick up the pieces. I watched one, where South Yorkshire police chased some crim in a stolen van, up the M1. He was swerving in and out of traffic, trying to create an accident, so the police couldn't follow him. Eventually he pulled off the motorway, crashed the van at a roundabout and tried to escape on foot. (no chance because the helicopter was following his every move) At the end of the program, we were told, he was given an 18 month suspended prison sentence, banned from driving for 3 yrs and given 7 points on the licence , he never had in the first place.

Yes on the licence that they in fact often don't have, thats a real deterrent :rolleyes:
Which is why. IMHO, cars should incorporate electronic systems that require the presence of the registered owner for it to operate at all. If the technology alongside gps speed restrictors was developed and introduced on a rolling program, then car crime would be all but eradicated within the next twenty years or so and nobody would ever be done for speeding again.

Eutopia maybe, but it's not beyond the realms of plausability.

Trouble is Dex as soon as something like that came out the hackers would soon have it hacked and putting it on line.

Must admit, I watch some of these programs now and then. Really makes me mad that scrotes are getting let off with a few quid fine and a few hours of community service, whilst the victims are left to pick up the pieces. I watched one, where South Yorkshire police chased some crim in a stolen van, up the M1. He was swerving in and out of traffic, trying to create an accident, so the police couldn't follow him. Eventually he pulled off the motorway, crashed the van at a roundabout and tried to escape on foot. (no chance because the helicopter was following his every move) At the end of the program, we were told, he was given an 18 month suspended prison sentence, banned from driving for 3 yrs and given 7 points on the licence , he never had in the first place.

It seems to me that judges live in their own comfortable little world, far removed from the real world that the rest of us must occupy. Are they really concerned about cutting crime? I suppose that if they ever did reduce crime they'd be doing themselves out of a cushy job.
Ah, I thought there must be a reason.

I remembered the guy in the lorry, so googled it......

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/traffic-cops-programmes-62056.html

Old fella was hauling stuff around, on a beat-up old 7.5 tonner. I think he was pulled for an unsecured or suspicious-looking load.

Upon closer examination, he had four bald tyres (down to the canvas, one at least one); no road tax since god-knows-when and, when the rozzer asked him for his operator licence, looked him straight in the eye and said he'd been doing this for forty years, and never had one."

£25 fine! Why on earth would anyone shell out for decent tyres, tax and a licence (costing over a grand a year, I'd guess), when they can not bother, and chance getting stung for what fell down the side of their seat? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back