Proposed extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am in the throws of purchasing a bungalow (no chain) and nearing completion. I would like to extend the kitchien to form a dining area to include a wc and utility. I have filled in a pre planning form and have been advised that I need to apply for full planning consent.

1, What should be my next step?
2, I don't want to move in and then have to wait months whilst planning is considered. How much can I get done now to save time?

Any advise welcome.

Thanks,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Go through the Planning Portal on line, but you will need a drawing of what is current and planned in a scaled submitable format, a scaled area plan. I needed to do an access statement (flood risk), etc......

Get in there and take some measurements and plan what you want. Draw it if you can, or get an architectural technician in.

Unless you want to do it yourself, employ an architectural technician (not an architect).
Assuming its fairly non contentious, it will go something like this:

1. Meet you at the bungalow and discuss your requirements.
2. He'll do a fee quotation for you get him to do a fixed lump sum.
3. Assuming you accept it you then appoint him.
4. He'll then carry out a survey.
5. He'll then draw up the existing plans, elevations and a site plan if necessary and download a site location plan.
6. He'll then draw up the proposed plans, elevations and a proposed site plan if necessary.
7. He should send these to you or meet with you to make sure you're happy with the proposed plans etc before he submits the application.
8. Assuming you're happy he'll then complete the forms and submit the application. (If he has any sense he'll ask for payment at this time.)
9. Wait for approval which takes around 8-12 weeks depending on your location.
10. After say 6 weeks or thereabouts after the neighbours etc have had their chance to winge etc he should contact the planners to make sure the application is being recommended for approval. If its not, then that is the time when (if required) any tweaks can be made to keep the planers happy and ensure it gets through. If there are tweaks required but they are only minimal he should probably do these for free, if they are a bit more time consuming he may charge you extra.

Then there are the building regs.......

If you do want to do it yourself you can follow the same route.

having just been made redundant from my last job, I am interested as to why a number of people on this site seem to think that employing a technician rather than an architect is a sensible way forward? This is a symptom of the climate we are in and is very short sighted with regards to what is best for the industry as a whole and the clients that look to people within the industry for guidance that they can trust.
Maybe I am missing something or maybe people are angling for work?
For the record, technicians normally operate under the umbrella of a company who have the relevant protection.
Also, many technicians are not trained in design. I guess it is just horses for courses and you get what you pay for. If you need a bog standard box then go down that route - anything that needs a modicum of thought then think again.
Anyway, thought I'd throw that in as a number of you seem to have a contrary opinion.

Sponsored Links
having just been made redundant from my last job, I am interested as to why a number of people on this site seem to think that employing a technician rather than an architect is a sensible way forward? This is a symptom of the climate we are in and is very short sighted with regards to what is best for the industry as a whole and the clients that look to people within the industry for guidance that they can trust.
Maybe I am missing something or maybe people are angling for work?
For the record, technicians normally operate under the umbrella of a company who have the relevant protection.
Also, many technicians are not trained in design. I guess it is just horses for courses and you get what you pay for. If you need a bog standard box then go down that route - anything that needs a modicum of thought then think again.
Anyway, thought I'd throw that in as a number of you seem to have a contrary opinion.

95% of domestic extensions are simple and do not need the additional expense of an architect, many technicians are more than capable of doing a job like this and also have the umbrella of insurance. In any case how often is a professional likely to need to make a claim on his PI for a simple extension? This is not a symptom of the climate, it is good sense. It may not be good for architects but it is good for technicians. :D I am a technician with over 20 years experience and have also recently been made redundant but now work for myself, I have no idea where the OP lives and have not even hinted that they should contact me for a quote. In my last practice the practice architect could barely open cad let alone do anything decent with it and don't even mention him trying to do building regs drawings! :LOL: Shame he wasn't any good at getting the work in either!

someone sounds a little bitter.
judging by the number of posts that you have put on this site and the times of the day you were doing them, maybe you should have tried a little harder to keep in employment

Funnily I have never heard of a technician sustaining him/herself with anything other than mickey mouse projects. All that experience and you'll be drawing toilets. You must be very proud.

Hence there are professional offices out there for people that want to spend more that £500 on drawings produced by professionals.

I do however wish you luck in your quest to keep going however judging from your attitude I think tescos beckons.....
I'll look out for you in Building magazine.

I am a bit bitter, my last boss was a tw*t! The thing is, domestic clients who want to pay for a commercial architect are thin on the ground and if you want to offer a commercial service to commercial clients you'll need an office and everything that that entails and you're hourly rate will not allow you to do anything small. Its the big jobs which are a bit thin on the ground atm in case you hadn't noticed. It was you who suggested that people should use an architect instead of a technician, if you're going for commercial clients it seems odd you're phased by it. You seem to be suggesting that technicians can't make a living? How odd. It depends whether you want one job a month or several smaller ones. I've spent years working for developers and commercial clients making them fat profits in the process, I couldn't care less whether I work on a domestic house extension or a block of flats, at least domestic clients are actually grateful. But hey, I was made redundant in July and I'm now working for myself whilst you got the boot in March and you're only thinking about it now, scared by the real world?

I, as a builder of domestic extensions, have worked on many jobs designed by a plethora of different 'pens'.

There is one individual who stands out, and he is a retired architect. Fortunately he understands how the building will be built, i.e. from a builders point of view - very, very rare! He shows blown-up details at complicated thru' sections, using thought processes as if he were actually building it himself.

Priceless.

However, i have seen architects drawings that could have been drawn better by my niece. Any clown can copy and paste the latest reg's etc, and domestic extensions don't need a genius to get the proportions right.

It is my conclusion that, so long as the building 'fits' and works for the client and the drawings provided are a descriptive representation that the client, the builder and building control can all refer to, then you are on to a winner.

another sensible comment - thanks noseall.
That now makes two on this forum.
Those that can do, those that can't give advice like the other 'part time' 'pens' in this thread.
Whats your opinion on the PI issue?

Ahah, now I see from where the fractiousness in the other thread originates!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back