Propped wallplate??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i’m currently having an extension completed and wanted to get an opinion on this bit of woodwork. I believe the builder has used some makeshift timberwork in order to achieve the correct wallplate height rather than building up in blockwork.
Does this look acceptable?

The roof only supports felt plus some concrete tiles on hipped section.

thanks

Attachments

• 2CF39DE2-83A3-4A38-AF50-89B513EE303D.jpeg
    2CF39DE2-83A3-4A38-AF50-89B513EE303D.jpeg
    345.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 8526B969-7E04-4370-A4E8-B3BC483076B1.jpeg
    8526B969-7E04-4370-A4E8-B3BC483076B1.jpeg
    422.7 KB · Views: 218
  • D6D18F74-BF8D-4FA5-A9D4-E344ACFF409F.jpeg
    D6D18F74-BF8D-4FA5-A9D4-E344ACFF409F.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
I just so happen to be at my dads at the moment, he's a retired joiner/foreman/site agent/building contractor, I'm a building control surveyor, to say we both found this more than a little amusing would be quite an understatement!!!
Did your builder arrive on a horse by any chance?
The wallplate isn't your only problem, you're going to get wall spread and a collapsed roof.

Roof spread even if its only holding some felt above?

according to the structural engineer, its ok aslong as adequate support is provided in the voids, through timber or brick infills.

Sponsored Links
Ok, spoke to building inspector, hes said that horizontal joists will need to be put in with vertical supports to give strength under the connection between rafter and top joists.

So in line with what was said by you guys.

I wanted a vaulted ceiling internally, but looks like it will be difficult to achieve that unless i get a cranked rsj in.

Ok, spoke to building inspector, hes said that horizontal joists will need to be put in with vertical supports to give strength under the connection between rafter and top joists.

So in line with what was said by you guys.

I wanted a vaulted ceiling internally, but looks like it will be difficult to achieve that unless i get a cranked rsj in.
I thought he might say that, I've encountered a few similar myself over the years, I got them to do something similar,

That double should of been a cranked beam it has nothing supporting it so will just spread good luck picking it all up

I thought he might say that, I've encountered a few similar myself over the years, I got them to do something similar,

Well why didnt you say that in the first place rather than listing out your accolades, all the problems and then making a mockery.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back