Protecting against floods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live near two rivers, and since 1960's the flood defences have provide protection....however..... a few years ago the water did get uncomfortably high and this year the rivers authorities have done some dubious work so we now feel it is time to think about protecting ourselves from potential risk. What would be suggested as a starting point that doesn't cost lots? Its hard to spent lots of money when we haven't and may never flood but we feel we need to be a bit more prepared than we are!

Sponsored Links
do you have concrete floors or wooden floors with ventilation underneath down stairs !!

we have concrete floors. ideally we need things cheap (doesnt everyone!) and not take up much room. I have seen 'sand'bags that are flat until water absorbed. anyone have any experience of these.
You would think flood agency would be more helpful but could find any info on there and the last flood warning update for one of our rivers was dec!

Sponsored Links
http://www.floodgate.ltd.uk/?kw=flood%20protection&fl=23385&gclid=COekt62qoZECFSFmMAodq33s7w

Do a Google, you will find plenty of sites offering advice and equipment.

these look pretty good. maybe worth the investment...wonder if anyone has experience of these?

If I lived on a flood plain I'd definitely consider these.....I saw them in Keswick when it was flooded last November.
As your house has concrete floors you have a great advantage as there won't be any air bricks to consider, but you would need to see that any services that enter the property - water, gas etc - are sealed. The only other aspect is sewage flooding if the loo overflows :eek:
Eventually, I think, insurance will only be granted to risk properties if barriers such as these are deployed.
John :)

Also consider your possessions, ensure your personal data & photographs, non replaceable stuff etc is all stored upstairs.

Fit some flood alarms that go off at the first sign of water ingress downstairs so you don't wake to a disaster.

Plan what to do if it does go off, what to move & what not.

I'm pretty sure you could make your own flood gates depending on how handy you are.

http://www.floodgate.ltd.uk/?kw=flood%20protection&fl=23385&gclid=COekt62qoZECFSFmMAodq33s7w

Do a Google, you will find plenty of sites offering advice and equipment.

these look pretty good. maybe worth the investment...wonder if anyone has experience of these?

I fitted them to a property in Cockermouth about 4 years ago. Worked perfectly in Last years floods.

Same product failed close to the town centre, water was just to high.

These appear to be effective for air bricks:
http://www.ventguard.org/

great now we know you dont have air bricks
assuming we are talking just doors up to window height

you will need to seal all gaps below window height and above ground this includes cables and pipes gaps between doors and frames with silicon sealant

you will need some 12mm ply with rubber stuck on areas that will press against areas off contact so the weight off the water will cause a seal
you will need a couple off battons to form a slot to hold the board firmly against the frame and sill
you will need to grease up [vaseline oil butter ect] to allow the rubber to slip

you should have a dirty water mains powered pump that will help you ovecome the odd few gallons seeping by

you can also get drill driven pumps that can shift a bathfull in a few mins but they need constant attention and 2 or three fully charged batteries

on doors that wont be opened you could form a waterproof barrier by greasing up the doors and frames
firmly fixing a ply board an inch or 2 away and fill the gap with builders foam this needs to be done a day in advance for it to set

One of the first things you have to consider when think about flood protection is where the flood points in your house are. Make sure that you have all flood water access points covered.

First place flood water enters a house is the air vents. If I were you I would avoid any flood protection devices that have to be fitted just before a flood. This is because you very well might not be there when the flood happens. This includes vent guards.

I think that most floods don’t come above the door stop level but still flood the air vents so if you have them make sure they are protected.
As far as I know these are the only two air vent/brick flood protection devices which don’t need activate before a flood. If you know of any more then please let me know.

These two are the Snorkel Vent and the SMART airbrick.

The Snorkel Vent is a plastic casing that fits over the air vent/brick to raise the flood line. It just needs to be sealed to the wall and away you go. I think it costs about £30 per vent casing. What I like about this one is there is no maintenance before or after a flood. Once it’s on that’s it and it’s a pretty cost effective method.

www.snorkelvent.co.uk

The SMART airbrick looks just like an airbrick but it has something inside that stops flood water coming in. Two things about this one is that you have to take it out and clean it after a flood. Not very nice when god knows what is in the flood water. Also it needs a builder to install which could be pricey. Saying that these things look like air bricks, so you can’t really tell it’s there.

http://www.ecocoverage.co.uk/

The next place you have to think about is the door level. Don't bother with sand bags; all they do is filter water a bit, they don't stop it coming in. There are a variety of shields that you can buy which lock into place on the door. Some have to be fitted into the door frame and some just clip on.

I have also seen PVC doors advertised where the flood protection is built into the door. This gives automatic protection. But they could be expensive.

Whatever you do don't forget the toilets! The amount of horror stories I have heard about people being flooded though their toilets, and the amount of damage it causes is unreal.

If you let your toilets flood then worst case scenario is you will have to get the plaster stripped from the walls and have the walls chemically treated to get the contamination out.

Two options here. Either install a back flow valve in your plumbing or get a toilet stopper, which is either a lid that fits over the toilet or an inflatable bag which is place in the toilet and expalnded. Once again there are a variety of options on the market.

Unless your windows are below 900mm don't bother with flood protection on them. You have to let the house flood when it gets to that level to avoid structural damage.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back