Protecting downlights in loft when insulating

I’ve been walking on them for the last few weeks as I’ve been clearing the loft out

Maybe I’ll just insulate and put new insulated hatch in!

Sponsored Links
Just browsing Facebook and a loft boarding and insulation company replied to someone saying that it’s only Halogen lights that need protection and LED lights do not

This suggests that I DO NOT need to cover the Downlights - is this correct?

I would still cover them, at least to give the LED lights some cooling air flow. It is usually poor airflow/heat build up, which causes LED's to fail.

Now I’ve exposed them more, they’re too close to the joists to put protectors over them

What’s my choices? Just cover them with insulation and hope for the best?

Nail a bit of timber across the top, between the two adjacent joists, just to provide some airspace under the insulation.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard cover. Fireproof and keeps dust out.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned terracotta flower pots yet.

Or replace with LED downlights that can be covered directly with insulation - they exist - I have some which I bought for that exact purpose

Or replace with LED downlights that can be covered directly with insulation - they exist - I have some which I bought for that exact purpose
I actually messaged the electrician and he said the ones he put in are fire rated LED so safe to insulate straight over

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back