Protecting external cooper pipe from theft..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I rent out a property (flat) - and was informed today there been attempted metal theft of the external gas pipe from the meter leading to the inside of the property! :evil:

It has been fixed by a gas safe guy today.

I have seen the damage and it looks like a clean cut and I cannot see how this happened, surely not a hacksaw - it is quite close to the external wall. Is it possible at all for this pipe to just snap over time and came apart when someone tried to handle it?? I've never seen copper snap! The pipework is currently covered in black but surprisedly this did not stop them!

Anyway - about protecting it - what is the best way? The meter is in a box outside..the pipework starts coming down about 200mm then to the right about 200mm and then upwards probably 1500mm and then left about 1200mm and then upwards inside the property. The area is communal so anyone can walk by.

I know there some suggestions of boxing in but also see some info about ventilation needed. If anyone can point me to some kits like Screwfix etc that be great. It could be some sort of clamps etc. I would then go there again and fit it in to make it more difficult for them to try again.

Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Remove the earth bonding and apply 1000 volts? :evil:

Sponsored Links
if you box it in the theiving b'stads will probably nick the boxing as well as the pipe. Steel pipe might be an option

why steel pipe how is it effective? Stronger?

Surely there must be another way as not really keen on replacing the pipework seeing I just got it fixed.

Or you can get a galvanized pipe covering, think its about £10 a meter though.

Wrap it with denso tape or paint it with the non drying paint

Copper pipe can be cut in a few seconds using a small hand held tool like these ones.

Steel pipe is much thicker and therefore far more difficult to cut.
Steel also has a much lower scrap value, so less likely to be stolen.

Where can i get the galvanised covering?

How does the Denso tape works for protection? From where?

The non drying paint - isnt it only applies to above 2m?If so it would not cover the vertical part of pipe...?

Am hoping for something that makes it harder and bothersome for whoever tries to do this again.

Cheers
:D

In order...

Dunno

Denso is fricking 'orrible -that's how it works.

Non drying paint is non drying paint. It is nasty stuff regardless of how high it is.

Move the meter inside.

Or run a dummy pipe with a 240Vac cable init, you may have fried ***** one morning. :mrgreen:

I'll be damned Pike y is on the banned list what is the world coming too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back