Protecting gas pipe in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my boiler relocated in the loft, and to do this the gas fitter installed the 22mm copper pipe in a stud wall (no I did not do it myself). I had already stripped off the plasterboard. Now I'm ready to reboard the wall, but before I do I'd like to give the pipe some mechanical protection.

The wall is less than 100mm thick, so the pipe will be close to the surface and as it's on a landing it looks as though it's the kind of place where someone might tap a nail in to hang a picture.

What should I use to protect it?

Sponsored Links
Afraid it is not that simple you can not just put platerboard over the pipe, tou will have to batton either side of the gas pipe and seal it, so if there is an escape of gas it doesnt spread behind the wall and it needs to be vented at high level, like this

gas pipe.png

Afraid it is not that simple you can not just put platerboard over the pipe, tou will have to batton either side of the gas pipe and seal it, so if there is an escape of gas it doesnt spread behind the wall and it needs to be vented at high level, like this

View attachment 273588

Hi, thanks for your reply. The studs that the pipe is between are only 120mm apart and 55mm thick so will be similar to this, but I could easily reduce the volume of the void further by adding a batten or battens.

I'm mainly concerned with the risk of puncture by nailing/screwing/drilling as the copper pipe will be close to the surface.

Sponsored Links
I'm mainly concerned with the risk of puncture by nailing/screwing/drilling as the copper pipe will be close to the surface.
you could try something like this

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back