Protecting Main Gas Pipe

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just started digging the driveway in preparation for new drive and the main gas pipe that goes into the house is only about 1ft below ground.

Can anyone tell me the best way to protect it from the hardcore that will be placed on top? I was thinking of maybe covering in building sand, but not sure how thick this should be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'd see if it could be replaced with plastic if I were you while its exposed. The metal will probably be scabby and the vibration from doing the drive could fracture it.

It could even be free, definately worth a call to transco or whatever they call themselves these days.

If not, sand would probably be your best bet.

Iron is practically indestructable. So much so that the gas people run the plastic inside the iron and use it as a conduit.

If it aint leaking now, then anything you do to the drive is not likely to make it leak, short of wrenching it out with a digger or attacking it with an angle grinder or sledge hammer!

Surround it with sand if you like then backfill with granular material such as m.o.t. type 1, then wacker away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back