Protecting painted wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just built a hot tub surround in the garden for our lazy spa. The surround is built using a mix of decking boards and cladding.

I've already treated the wood and have just applied the second coat of Cuprinol fence paint (Muted Clay - matt).

I'm very happy with the finish and would like to protect it as best as possible. Is there a product I can apply to protect the paint from stains / chips etc? I don't want to alter the appearance of the existing paint job at all.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't put anything on that - it's the Cuprinol garden shades stuff right? It's waxy so not sure you'd have a lot of success with stuff on top. The beauty of that range though is that you can easily patch it up or repaint in a couple years if the wood gets weathered and needs it.

Cuprinol clear varnish will give you some added protection. But do you need it really?

Thanks for the replies. I was concerned the chlorine in the water may discolour the paint over time when getting out of the tub / kids splashing etc?

Sponsored Links
I've used clear varnish over the paint (for a garden bench) and it does change the colour.. goes a bit dull. Wished I hadn't as the rain sits on it for ages :)

I also painted some old terracotta pots and sprayed lacquer over on a couple, the lacquer peeled off over the winter, taking the paint with it, whereas the ones without lacquer are fine.

Lacquer/varnish restrains the wood from being flexible. It won't stop it from flexing so the lacquer/varnish simply cracks and often falls off/chips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back