protecting your home

W

whistle

What Can I Do To Protect My Home?

You can reduce the risk of your home being burgled by taking some simple precautions.
Around 20% of all house burglaries are carried out without the use of force as entry is made through an open door or window. Fit strong locks to your doors and windows and keep them locked even when you're home.

To further reduce the risk of being burgled, there are a number of security measures you may wish to consider.

Visible burglar alarms make intruders think twice. They not only act as a deterrent, but will also provide a warning that an intrusion is taking place.

However 'bells-only' alarms will not give you an automatic police response; they will only act if an unlawful entry has been reported by a 999 call.

Those alarms connected to a monitoring service are the best. Opting for a remotely monitored alarm, where activation signals are sent to a monitoring centre ensures the police are contacted on your behalf in the event of a confirmed signal.

Signals are filtered for false activations avoiding the risk of losing police response to your alarm.

Other electronic security systems include CCTV and access control.

There are many alarm systems on the market ranging from the fairly cheap 'bells-only' which you can fit yourself, to the more expensive systems that need to be installed by professionals.

You may wish to ask the Crime Reduction Officer at your local police station for advice before you buy a system.

Choosing a burglar alarm or security system for your home is one thing. However, if you want it to be effective and meet the requirements set out by the police and your insurer, it's important to have it installed and maintained in accordance with the required standards by a professional company such as those approved by NSI.

Some key questions to ask the company you are considering to install your system. Are they;

capable of meeting the standards of workmanship and service you would expect?
properly security vetting all relevant staff to British Standards?
operating a 24 hour call out service and able to respond within 4 hours?
fully insured?
rigorously inspected twice a year to ensure standards are maintained?
completing a thorough security survey and Risk Assessment of your property?
installing reliable, up to date equipment?
issuing you with a Certificate of Compliance for your system?
offering you a maintenance contract?
meeting the stringent requirements of the police and your insurer?
operating to the highest level of business excellence through achievement of the industry specific ISO 9001 Quality Management system(NACOSS Gold only)?
NSI NACOSS Gold & Systems Silver approved companies can answer 'yes' to these questions. NSI provides the most rigorous inspection process to ensure that all its approved companies continuously meet the highest standards.

Is Your Intruder Alarm Officially Certificated?
You will be issued with a ‘Certificate of Compliance’ on completion of the installation of an electronic security system by your NSI approved company.

This provides you with evidence that the system was installed by an approved company and meets the appropriate standards.

This uniquely numbered 'Certificate of Compliance' may be required by your insurance company as proof that the system meets their criteria when it's a condition of insurance, or where an insurance premium discount is available for suitable intruder alarms

source www.nsi.org.uk/default.aspx

Sponsored Links
More importantly - "Are they charging you three times as much as the independent guy down the road"?

More importantly - "Are they charging you three times as much as the independent guy down the road"?
Ha, now that depends

Are we talking about genuine estimates, quotes,invoices issued or are we talking about a bloke in pub told a mate of a mate who read an unsubstantiated article from a sleazy salesman on the T'interweb type of price??

Sponsored Links
Come on mate - tell us the price. Round our way £350 will get you 4 sensors and a Texecom R8. What are YOU charging?

As long as NSI maintain strict controls then your article linked from NSI has merit. However its self publicising so has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Certainly NSI companies exist who don't maintain those standards.
I would like to see them kicked out as they do noone any good especially other bonafide NSI companies.
Its to be hoped they aren't like the Federation of Master Builders which turned out to let complete cowboys join as long as they paid their fees making the Federation logo meaningless.
As always personal reference is gold while everything else is tin.

As long as NSI maintain strict controls then your article linked from NSI has merit. However its self publicising so has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
I would like to see them kicked out as they do noone any good especially other bonafide NSI companies.
Its to be hoped they aren't like the Federation of Master Builders which turned out to let complete cowboys join as long as they paid their fees making the Federation logo meaningless.

do you know your website is illegal?

Now, you would know about that.

your one man mission against companies inspected by independent inspectorates and suggesting they are all out of step and you are the one doing things correctly is, to say the least, a little strange and definitely weak on logic.

You seem to view accreditation as some sort of access to a 'jobs for the boys' club and the practice is unethical. Odd then that you made it clear you hope to join the NSI yourself.

your one man mission against companies inspected by independent inspectorates and suggesting they are all out of step and you are the one doing things correctly is, to say the least, a little strange and definitely weak on logic.

You seem to view accreditation as some sort of access to a 'jobs for the boys' club and the practice is unethical. Odd then that you made it clear you hope to join the NSI yourself.

he wouldnt last a week

I don't have a mission I would be as quiet as a mouse on here simply answering Yale querries from DIY members which is what I thought I would be doing on this site. However your continual personal attacks mean I have to defend myself and if necessary point out weakness in your argument.
If you don't want me posting here so often stop continually making me have to respond...

do you know your website is illegal?
I will gladly change anything if necessary. My intention is to be completely above board.
What reasons are for this?.. many thanks.
If it referes to any comparisons . .
Please read...
The ASA noted that the comparisons did not always have to be like for like if there was enough information in the ad to demonstrate the basis for price comparison

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back