Protek RCD replacement - British General RCD a suitable replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.png 5.png
This Protek RCD (on a Protek consumer unit) recently tripped and does not work since being tripped, this British General RCD is the closest I can find online to match it, would this one be ok as a replacement?

I'm not going to try to replace it myself (for obvious safety reasons!), just trying to get the part before calling an electrician to install.

And if anyone could tell me how much I should expect to pay for labour for 1 x RCD and 1 x MCB replacement that would also be much appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
British General RCD
It may physically fit, although consumer units are not intended to have a mixture of different manufacturers devices in them.
Yours already does and that Protek one is probably wrong.

Niglon RCDs are available: https://www.eleconline.co.uk/zdriverel/form/catsel/NIGLON-RCDS/product/M1723
and would be a better choice, N&L are the other way round and that's probably why the short brown link wire exists to connect to the MCBs, it's spaced like that to go over the neutral wire.

I am wondering if the RCD is actually faulty. How do you know? You will not be able to reset the RCD if there is a fault on any one of the associated circuits.

N&L are the other way round and that's probably why the short brown link wire exists to connect to the MCBs, it's spaced like that to go over the neutral wire.

Thanks, did seem a bit strange that N&L are the other way round to most RCDs I can find online. I've added some more photos to show all connections.

6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Would it be more sensible at this stage to think about replacing the whole Consumer Unit?

(rather than losing money on just getting the failed RCD and MCB replaced if the whole unit needs to be replaced anyway)

I am wondering if the RCD is actually faulty. How do you know? You will not be able to reset the RCD if there is a fault on any one of the associated circuits.

Thanks, the RCD has no resistance when switching back to on position, and associated circuits don't work when any MCB is switched back to on position.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the RCD has no resistance when switching back to on position
Yes. That is the effect you may get if there is a fault on one of the circuits!

It is more than likely that the RCD is not faulty at all. A new RCD, or a new consumer unit will not solve this.

As a first test. Turn off the power at the main switch - that’s the double red switch at the left hand side of the consumer unit. Make sure the power is actually off by using a proven voltage tester. Then remove both of the cables from the bottom of the RCD. Now see if the RCD will reset. If it will then you gave a fault with your installation, not the RCD.

Note: you MUST check the power is actually isolated. If you don’t know how to do this, then get a competent electrician to sort this out for you.

Please report back your findings.

Thanks guys I followed your suggestions.

- I set main switch to 'off', then RCD to 'on' - which had resistance this time and stayed on
- then put RCD back to 'off'
- then main switch back to 'on', RCD back to 'on' (now with resistance again), then switched MCBs back to 'on' one at a time (I thought this was correct procedure to avoid any potential overload)
- however, no power to any associated circuit was restored, and when pressing the test button on the RCD it did not trip the RCD
[*the above order now edited as I had made a mistake previously with writing the order, as mentioned in my next post below - my apologies*]

So would it now be correct to conclude that the RCD does need to be replaced, along with the tripped MCB before power can be restored?

If so is this Wylex RCD I've found ok as a replacement? It says 'DIN rail mounted', seems to have the same N&L configuration as the one that needs replacing, and from reviews the Wylex seems to be better quality than the BG one I found earlier:

10.jpg 11.jpg

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/wylex-63amp-double-pole-30ma-rcd-wrs63-2.html

Last edited:
You do not understand.

Turn the main switch to OFF
Leave it OFF

Now, can you move the RCD switch to the ON position.? If you can, then its a racing certainty that the RCD is not faulty and that you have a fault in your wiring.

In answer to your (probably redundant) question
If so is this Wylex RCD I've found ok as a replacement? It says 'DIN rail mounted',
The answer is, even if you end up needing a new RCD, you need one to match the MCBs. ie a NIGLON RCD. (Edit. I just noticed that the CU is Protek and its therefore all of the MCBs that are wrong! But that won't cuase your problem. Lets try and keep it to one type, rather ythan add Wylex and making it three.
But I digress, as you most likely do not need a replacement RCD>
All RCDs of that type are "DIN rail mounting", thats what they do.

Seriously, you need an electrician to sort you out. Someone to test the RCD, find the fault and resolve it.

Thanks for your reply, my apologies for the confusion I genuinely made a mistake in writing up the order in my post above (I will edit that immediately after this post to correct).

I did follow your steps in order, this is what I did:

- I set main switch to 'off', then RCD to 'on' - which had resistance this time and stayed on
- then put RCD back to 'off'
- then main switch back to 'on', RCD back to 'on' (now with resistance again), then switched MCBs back to 'on' one at a time (I thought this was correct procedure to avoid any potential overload)
- however, no power to any associated circuit was restored, and when pressing the test button on the RCD it did not trip the RCD

I had hoped that (apart from of course the potentially faulty circuit which caused all this) the other circuits might come back on seeing as the RCD now has resistance when 'on'.

I appreciate all your help very much and am more than willing to be educated. And don't worry, I won't be trying anything myself just trying to prepare and understand so that I'm up to speed as much as I can be for when calling in an electrician.

Up to you. You have no electricity on any of the sockets in your house. I would suggest you need to get an electrician to sort this as a matter of priority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back