Proteus Consumer - 50Amp MCB - 10.5 Kw Showe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon Gents ,

I'm after some advice I'm looking to replace a 9Kw shower with a 10.5kW and was just interested to what would be involved prior to getting someone in . As it stands showeer is in a cubicle but I'm replacing the bathroom and want to move and upgrade the shower over the bath . Currently the shower is a redring 9kw connected with 6mm2 cable to a protues 40A mcb in protues consumner with RCD. What would lik to know is is it possible to replace the existing 40A mcb with a 50Amp and upgrade the cable to 10mm . Cable run is up the wall cavity , across loft wall and then into bathroom ceiling (approx 10m inlength ) . Ive looked on the protues web and cant see a 50Amp mcb for that box is there other OEM equivalent ? [

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Although your new shower is rated 45A likely it will run from a 40A supply. Although I would upgrade cable to 10mm as all too easy for insulation to fall on it and cause overheating.

Don't know what MCB's are available for that consumer unit but that's not the only consideration. A house supply can be anywhere between 60 and 100 amp and in the main there is little to say which you have as all the fuses fit into same holder.

Personally I use gas to heat my water so have 27kW and a really good shower. I would only use electric where there is no alternative.

However when the electrician comes he will advice as to what is required. There are many ways around the problem including a mini consumer unit just for the shower.

It is not ideal to run a shower from a undersized MCB in the end the MCB will start to degrade and trip quicker and quicker. But in the main we do not shower for very long.

I would say cheap way out is smaller shower and to pay so much for such a little gain does not really make sense. Either go the whole way and use a thermostatic shower valve and have a really good shower or use smaller shower. The gain 9kW to 10.5kW is not worth the money. To move from 9kW to 20kW would so it's really either use a pump and stored water, or supply of combi-boiler or retain the 9kW. It is just not an economic viable option to move from 9kW to 10.5kW.

Thanks for the swift reply .

I probably should have mentioned I alreday have a shower fed off the combi in one bathroom but want the option to run two at the same time without significant loss in flow rate . Also its a nice little back up if the boiler goes off ( two small kids and a nagging wife .... )

Your problem may be water pressure when running 2 showers .

If you have the combi shower running full blast then the second (10.5KW) shower will take half of the mains pressure.

You may be lucky and have a 22mm cold water feed into your house and up to the combi. If it is reduced to 15mm then you won't get what you are looking for.

What happens when you try this with the existring shower?

Sponsored Links
When both showers are on slight drop in combi shower and bigger drop from electric..... Hmmm maybe I just can't have two showers on at same time ...

50A MCBs are available for that board.

However the total loading has to be considered also, and as the RCD is only a 63A type, putting a 50A circuit in there with those other unidentified ones may not be desirable or possible.

Thanks for the advice , I'm going to put another shower in fed from combi , less hassle and better shower . Now I just need to pick one ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back