Prove it!!

D

daneski88

I've just been reading the plight of someone on the plastering forum who was made redundant before he managed to gain his NVQ qualification. Someone else, during his excellent advice to the op, mentioned how he has hardly ever been asked to show his qualifications.

Thinking about it, I've never been asked to show my qualifications to anyone in any of the jobs I have done (apart from CRB clearance when I did some supply teaching, for obvious reasons).

Just wondering what experiences anyone else has had over the years (especially pre-database records)

Sponsored Links
Only thing I've ever been asked for is a copy of my latest CV when applying for jobs.
Never been asked to show certificates or anything else that would prove validity.
Sorry, just remembered I was asked for my driving licence last year for the firms insurance company. I've worked there for over 5 years!

i used to work with someone who had his city and guilds certificate laminated,every job we went on he was asked to prove he was qualified,ended up being a standing joke he looked young but was only a few years younger then most of us.we on the other hand were never asked to prove our qualifications.probably coz we were old gits.

Straight question for RGI's and pro sparks - in order to get your qualification have you had to show proof of your old NVQ's etc, or is it taken as read?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Blas- I was referring to whether you need to show your qualifications to gassafe in order to get the reg number, or whether they just take your word for it?

Don't you just quote your corgi/gassafe number for that?

(Sorry, that was for Blas.)

I can honestly say, I have only been asked once at a job interview for my trade qualifications. I also have a CSCS gold card which is only ever asked for at site inductions and by agencies.
;) ;)

In terms of the law, it is now a requirement that ALL recruiters SEE proof/evidence of your right to work in the UK.

In terms of the law, it is now a requirement that ALL recruiters SEE proof/evidence of your right to work in the UK.
Useful to know; but does it mean that employers have to see proof of an potential employee's qualifications?

So, I was born in the UK, have lived here all my life. Exactly what proof does an employer need?

I thought that employers have to ask for proof/evidence of the right to work in the UK only if you are an immigrant. ?????

For instance, If I show a prospective employer my birth certificate,,, will they accept that as proof? I only ask as there must be UK born people who don't have a passport, driving licence to prove they were born in the UK.

Come to think of it,,, to get a birth certificate, you only have to know where and when a person was born and the birth was registered, and hand over the correct fee and there ya go,, One birth certificate.

So would that be acceptable proof???

Yes a Birth Certificate is acceptable John but a second document (they have to be Originals), showing your permanent National Insurance number would also be required (P45, P60, National Insurance Card etc).

Remember this is 'Right to work in the UK', so a Visa or such like would also be acceptable obviously. This too would need to be 'backed up' with supporting documentation.

Last job interview I had, about 18 months ago.
They asked for prove of my qualifications, so I took them with me to the interview, didn't do me any good, said I was over qualified for the position :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back