Prove it!!

I find it's taken that you can do the job. Then your work is checked on the first day/job to make sure everything is correct.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I find it's taken that you can do the job. Then your work is checked on the first day/job to make sure everything is correct.

Andy
Fair point - but there have been cases where "doctors" have been shown not to be doctors at all. I also know of a case where (CRB checked and cleared, but I think over 20 years ago) a teacher started to teach, only to be discovered that he had no degree nor alternative qualifications.

I was doing the groundwork for a kitchen installation (removing old one, levelling concrete floor, plastering, shiftng pipes) and had to call in tradesmen for certain aspects. The (then Corgi) bloke had all the right credentials. The electician who was recommended to me told me that he spent a fortune getting his part P etc which irked him since he's been in the trade for nigh on 35 years. When he'd finished and we asked for certificate of installation, he was a bit evasive, and we discovered that he was not qualified for filling in the forms and the customer had to pay the usual fees to the council to have it checked. :rolleyes:

He could have got himself a trained monkey to fill out forms. The question is, was he any good at 'sparky work'?

I know of excellent ex-gas fitters/engineers (old boys and not so old ones), who gave up because they'd had enough of the bureaucracy/administration.

Sponsored Links
Never been asked for qualifications evidence or written references. I think it's because they have already got a verbal reference from an ex work colleague.

Worked for american companies for a few years, if they gave you a written reference it was worthless unless it contained the phrase 'would re-employ him if a similar post arose in the future' or similar. Don't know if the same code applies in uk, if it did it's probably illegal now.

Back