Proving very difficult to get a plumber

Sponsored Links
spot on tony
i'm getting a bit ragged off with people telling me what brand to install wanting me to drive to thier home to discuss the installation so they can pick my brains then taking my advice to someone else
so now i give a ball park figure over the phone before a visit and only provide a written quote if we have 'shaken' on the price and spec.
currently fitting a worcester a week and snowed under with day to day work

spot on tony
i'm getting a bit ragged off with people telling me what brand to install wanting me to drive to thier home to discuss the installation so they can pick my brains then taking my advice to someone else
so now i give a ball park figure over the phone before a visit and only provide a written quote if we have 'shaken' on the price and spec.
currently fitting a worcester a week and snowed under with day to day work

I got four calls yesterday regarding boiler changes. Two I declined ,one for (previous post) difficult customer the other for difficult install wrt the gas supply another that was well out of my area for this time of the year and one I got because I did exactly what you said and 'shaked on a price on the phone'.

Basically I interrogate them to the nth degree on the phone before I commit myself to a ballpark then if I think they are genuine I go and see them which usually but not always ends up with me getting the work.

I too fit Worcester Bosch boilers and frankly they sell themselves :)

Hi BikerGuy,

Not quite sure why you got such abuse really - Generally the guys on here are pretty helpful - you didn't even ask for pricing advice which is the main topic people get riled about !

We had similar issues with finding someone to do our system but we got there in the end so keep at it !

Agile's suggestion of getting a telephone estimate is a good one. You can discuss a lot of stuff in advance which can cut out people that aren't really interested (this works both ways of course)

I don't really agree with all that Softus says. Recommended people is definitely the way to go (if you can !) but I'd try to get 3 quotes (again if you can!)

In our area we have 'The Little Green Book' which is a directory of recommended tradesmen - not sure if that extends up to you but there will probably be something similar

Cheers and good luck

Steve

ps Maybe you're an Olympic downhill mountain biker - hence the name ? Agile I'm surprised at you :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't really agree with all that Softus says. Recommended people is definitely the way to go (if you can !) but I'd try to get 3 quotes (again if you can!)
If you like the "three quote" rule, then either you approve of the principle of each booked and paid job incorporating the cost of three 'free' quotes, or you must think that businesses should/do give away their time and fuel for absolutely nothing.

Yep - I reckon providing quotes (or estimates if you prefer) are part of the overheads of running a business. These get passed indirectly onto the customer as do all the other overheads (van, fuel, tools etc.)

OK - that's a rational and cogent reply, so here's a question:

If three quotes cost, say, £100, between them, then what do you consider you're getting in return for the extra £100 that you spend on every job?

And another question:

What do you consider is the overall benefit to the community, and/or nation, given the amount of tax that you paid to earn that £100, and will further be paid by the business, both in income tax and, some of the time, in VAT?

Ok glad to see not all members on here are unfriendly. Thanks to those with more positive comments.

The fellow that gave me the instant price has suggested a Glow Worm CXI 24, which I know nothing about. Going by some of the reaction on here I would simply be expected to accept this model and should not ask for explanation or suggest alternatives in case I upset the plumber.

In previous jobs I've had I have spent ages with customers giving all sorts of advice and coming up with ideas for them, only to not get the sale. So I cant see why plumbers think customers should just give them the work without some effort from them.

What is annoying from a customer point of view is spending time listening to plumbers and helping them to measure rooms and discussing ideas, then be told to expect a price in the post or by email as the last one said. Then wait a week and get nothing. Call them up and ask whats happening to be told the estimate will be there tomorrow, and it doesn't come. If it takes so much just to get them to give you a price it doesnt bode well for getting the job done on time and what about follow up if its required.

As I said at the start I've spent nearly 2 months now putting up with this and still no closer to getting the job started. I'm asking what I should do.

Agile... for the record I am none of the things you have described and I dont know why you have chosen to abuse me.

I have not "chosen to abuse you".

I only mentioned the vision that the name "bikerguy" creates.

If you had chosen "legaleagle" then that would have given the idea of a pinstripe suited solicitor.

You asked why people dont want to quote for you. The answer is that I have no idea. With such a poor response rate it is quite likely that there is a factor which is involved but if you are clean, polite, non agressive and seem to be able to afford the cost, then I cannot guess what it is.

Is the house what we in the trade call "cluttered" ? That can be a real paid to work in as so much rubbish has to be removed to take up floar boards.

Tony

Going by some of the reaction on here I would simply be expected to accept this model and should not ask for explanation or suggest alternatives in case I upset the plumber.
No, but if you have a specific boiler in mind then why didn't you tell him so at the outset?

I cant see why plumbers think customers should just give them the work without some effort from them.
Please explain who said that the tradesperson should not put in any effort.

What is annoying from a customer point of view is spending time listening to plumbers and helping them to measure rooms and discussing ideas, then be told to expect a price in the post or by email as the last one said.
Then ask for an estimate, and not a quotation.

If it takes so much just to get them to give you a price it doesnt bode well for getting the job done on time and what about follow up if its required.
If it doesn't bode well then get someone who's been recommended to you. It's not rocket science.

As I said at the start I've spent nearly 2 months now putting up with this and still no closer to getting the job started. I'm asking what I should do.
Get someone who's been recommended.

OK - that's a rational and cogent reply, so here's a question:

Oooooh Softus - is that a compliment ? :oops:

If three quotes cost, say, £100, between them, then what do you consider you're getting in return for the extra £100 that you spend on every job?

Do you mean me as a customer ? In my case I was more than happy to pay any overhead of producing quotes. The first quote I had was £17K and I ended up paying £9K.

is that a compliment ? :oops:
Indeed deedy.

Do you mean me as a customer ?
Yes.

In my case I was more than happy to pay any overhead of producing quotes. The first quote I had was £17K and I ended up paying £9K.
I must be missing something - what was the benefit?

And what do you consider is the overall benefit to the community, and/or nation, given the amount of tax that you paid to earn that £100, and will further be paid by the business, both in income tax and, some of the time, in VAT?

I must be missing something - what was the benefit?
Approximately £8,000 I guess ;)

And what do you consider is the overall benefit to the community, and/or nation, given the amount of tax that you paid to earn that £100, and will further be paid by the business, both in income tax and, some of the time, in VAT?
Ah well keeps the goverment living in the style to which they have become accustomed!

It's come to something when you have to show a tradesman your cv so he can decide if he wants to work for you.

If you must know when I tried signing up to this forum it took me many attempts before finding a username that had not already been taken.

The username I have was not my first choice, but I have used it on other forums to do with motorbikes. As it happens I have 3 motorbikes, 2 cars, and a campervan. I own 4 houses and an industrial unit. I am semi retired. I have short hair. I shower everyday. The property requiring CH originally had electric storage, but these have never worked. My son lives in the flat. He's not the tidiest person on the planet but then again he doesnt have much in the place either, so no its not cluttered.

The gas company are coming tomorrow to fit the meter. Thats £500+, would I be spending that if I was not serious about getting CH fitted. You will no doubt know how long it takes for the gas company to come and fit a meter.... so that shows it was at least 2 moths ago we started this project.

I have the cash sitting waiting for whoever wants the job. We have a plumber in town who has been in business about 30 years. He was one of the first we asked. He came said he could get it done soon and would go and calculate sizes of rads and get back to us. He didnt. When we call another plumber I tell them we had this other company out already and they all slate him off saying he's expensive and he's this and that. I tell them I'm annoyed he never got back to us and they will say dont worry we will get a price to you, then off they go never to be seen or heard from again.

Have you contacted "good old jazz" who will give you an estimate?

Just a small possibility, as you dont live there yourself, do you hide where you live? Are you in the phone book? Absentee landlords are 20 times more likely to try to avoid paying!

My father had a motorbike and sidecar before I was born! Luckily I have never ridden one otherwise I probably would not have survived until now!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back