Proving very difficult to get a plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying now for months to find a plumber to install CH. The job doesn't appear too difficult to me, there are one or 2 small problems. Looking for a new install, combi boiler, 8 radiators, upstairs/downstairs.
Plumbers come, measure up and go, and thats the last I hear from them.

Do I need a secret handshake or something to get the job done ?

I'm in Central Scotland between Falkirk and Edinburgh... anyone on here looking for work ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I have been trying now for months to find a plumber to install CH. The job doesn't appear too difficult to me...
Is that what you tell the installers who come to assess the job?

If so, it's not surprising that you never see them again.

Plumbers come, measure up and go, and thats the last I hear from them.
They're not actually measuring up - they're sizing you up and deciding that you're a bad risk.

You need to ask your family/friends/neighbours/colleagues to recommend someone with whose service they've been happy.

Hmm.. ic.

Well I ask them what they think of the job and they usually say it's straight forward and not difficult. So I don't know of any difficulties with the job. Nobody has pointed out anything unusual, so I can only assume there are none.

What would make me a bad risk. I have the cash to pay for the job. I have offered to help with anything they need. I let them plan how they think the job should be done, even though every one of them has come up with different suggestions about sizes of rads, positioning of rads, makes of boiler, routing of pipework, etc.

I have asked everyone I know for names of plumbers they would recommend but that hasn't helped. One day there was a council van nearby. I asked the guys if they knew anyone and it turned out 2 of them were plumbers who did work on the side. They came in and spent ages working it all out. Said they would get a price to me in a couple of days. I phoned them after a week and they said they were working on the price. Never heard from them again.

The only price I've had is from a plumber out of Thomson Directory. I called him and he turned up in about half an hour. He took a quick tour of the place and just announced a price off the top of his head. £2600. He didnt measure any rooms like others did, he didnt discuss much about anything. He just said it was straight forward and that was the price. To be honest it kind of put me off after the amount of time other guys had spent. But at the moment he's my only hope.

Why does getting quotes make me a bad risk. Each plumber that comes doesnt know I have asked anyone else, or do they all communicate with one another ?

If I ask somebody if they can recommend a plumber and they say no, how do I know what the reason is.

TBH I think your talking bullshit m8.... gfy

Why does getting quotes make me a bad risk.
Because you're wasting the time (and fuel) of all except one of the people you ask for quotes.

Each plumber that comes doesnt know I have asked anyone else
Well I can tell when people are doing it, so why can't they? :confused:

If I ask somebody if they can recommend a plumber and they say no, how do I know what the reason is.
It might involve asking them.

TBH I think your talking bulls**t m8.... gfy
That's OK. I'm not the one getting ignored by tradespeople. :D

I dont know much at all about you, but..........

You choose the screen name of "bikerguy".

The immediate vision that conjures up is of somebody about 45, rather overweight, with a beard and/or pony tail who is not washed and rather smelly and very agressive! Obviously he lives alone as no female would what to live with him! He might also give out gay vibes too!

In fact a typical Hells Angel who has a German Shepard dog ( but calls it an Alsatian! ). Someone who looks and swears like Billy Conolly?

Thats not everyones ideal customer profile!

Of course you might be a very clean mild mannered fellow, but as you choose that name then you probably are not!

Tony

What a strange forum.

You come on seeking advice and get abused by obviously very clever people who sound as though they have nothing else to do.

Can anyone advise me how to un-register from these muppets.

Agile... for the record I am none of the things you have described and I dont know why you have chosen to abuse me.

Moderators alerted for abuse

You come on seeking advice...
But you didn't.

anyone on here looking for work ?
Neither of those was a serious request for advice.

Can anyone advise me how to un-register from these muppets.
You look up "Muppet Show" in the Yellow Pages, then invite several companies to your house to quote for the deletion of your username from DIYnot.com.

Tell each of them that you really really want them to do the work, but secretly promise to yourself that the cheapest one will get the job.

I had a punter on the phone this morning looking for a quote for a new boiler. He had been recommended to me by his next door nieghbour so I know his house,more or less,and proceeded to ask him a few questions.

He was adamant that he wanted a certain type of boiler and I asked him who had advised him in this regard. He replied that he had had four central heating engineers out to quote plus BG and they all told him the same thing yet he was still phoning around and he certainly wasn't interested in anything I had to say regarding the type of boiler I thought would suit him.

Naturally I told him I wasn't interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back